YFZ Central banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lol...what's the difference between 7 and 8 paddle? Nothing..12 year olds like to argue..I can't understand half of what you wrote...
There is a diff in size and number of paddle even if it's just 1. 12 year olds do like to argue just like you still here bitchin right so keep going

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Lol...what's the difference between 7 and 8 paddle? Nothing..12 year olds like to argue..I can't understand half of what you wrote...
actually there is a difference....otherwise why would they even offer a 7 paddle? 8 paddle was the thing years ago until people started trying different setups. more paddle will get you out of the hole but as you start to ascend up a hill the more paddle on a stock to mild built yfz will slow you down and dig you in more. I can't speak for yfz rock but I HAVE been to glamis. 8 paddle is over paddled for a big 3 type of yfz. As I said, will the yfz run it...yes...will it be at optimal performance running the 8 paddle...no, not at glamis. but, everyone has their opinions. I have mine...I've tried several paddle setups. a 6 paddle is enough to get you up the hills and allow you to still have some float once you start slowing down vs digging you in. call up dave at fullerton and ask him what he recommends for paddles for a big 3 to mild built yfz....I would be willing to bet he won't say 8 paddle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow, that really escalated there. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I think that I am on board with the less paddles are better idea given my build and the type of riding I do. I do feel that just because everyone has a certain tire, does not make it the best. 99% of the people around here (little sahara,ok) run the molded 8 paddle crap, and we all can agree they are an awful choice. We all used to run 10 paddle tires on our 450 dirt bikes, but when I went back down to an 8 I feel I actually get around better.

I'll be calling Fullerton tomorrow, I am at least open to trying a 6 or 7. If I feel it doesn't work I'll just make my daughter run them and buy the 8 paddle next year I guess.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No I have never been to glamis I have rode wenchester bay, moses lake, Beverly, juniper, Florance, and coos bay dunes so I have rode a few dunes not all

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow, that really escalated there. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I think that I am on board with the less paddles are better idea given my build and the type of riding I do. I do feel that just because everyone has a certain tire, does not make it the best. 99% of the people around here (little sahara,ok) run the molded 8 paddle crap, and we all can agree they are an awful choice. We all used to run 10 paddle tires on our 450 dirt bikes, but when I went back down to an 8 I feel I actually get around better.

I'll be calling Fullerton tomorrow, I am at least open to trying a 6 or 7. If I feel it doesn't work I'll just make my daughter run them and buy the 8 paddle next year I guess.
Good call man never talked to him before but I do hear good things about him

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

yeah dave is a really nice dude, just tell him what you do and how you ride and what you have done on your yfz..... if yours is the big 3(pipe, intake, cammod) just tell him what he suggests for a piped, yfz with an intake. hey may suggest if you're wanting to run a 20" tire to run a 7 paddle and if you want the 21" paddle to run the 6 paddle extreme or hauler. I used to run a 20x10x10 7 paddle extreme and they duned great. I borrowed some 8 paddles and didn't like them. Once I went to a 6 paddle 21" tire though it's no turning back. I feel they are the best all around dune tire and I've run the 6 paddle extreme ,the 7 paddle hauler, and the 6 paddle hauler which I have now. the extreme will be a little more durable than the hauler due to the thickness of the base of the paddle which seem to allow them to hold up a tad better than the hauler. the 6 paddle extreme won't flex at the paddle quite as much as a hauler giving you better bite as well. all these setups were run with a 14/38 gear combo...however, a 14/39 combo works nice too but at Glamis and Dumont I prefer the 14/38.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I assume the 21" tires clear heal guards, correct? I guess that would be my only reason for staying with a 20". My tallest set right now is only a 68RO and there is still tons of room.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeah the 21's will be around 68+ RO...if you were to measure around the entire tire(even though this isn't the best way to get RO but gives you and idea) they are 70"...at least that is what mine are and mine are on 8x7 wheels...they will be closer to 69" with the 8x8 wheel. my paddla brats are 21-12-8 and they are 68 RO. mine cleared my old pro armors by like 1.5ish inches and clear my houser heel guards by a lot. they are in my sig.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just thought I would update this thread. I called Fullerton and talked to them. They asked how my quad was built, where I ride, and type of riding.

So my answers are 52/32, Glamis, recreational duning.

They recommend a 21" 6 paddle and 8" rims. I asked what if I wanted to use my MX quad which is 55/32ish and was recommended the same tire. They did tell me that I could run a 7 paddle if I thought I would want to do more drags, but for overall performance and hills the 6 paddle would be their recommendation.

So I bought a set to try

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just thought I would update this thread. I called Fullerton and talked to them. They asked how my quad was built, where I ride, and type of riding.

They recommend a 21" 6 paddle and 8" rims. I asked what if I wanted to use my MX quad which is 55/32ish and was recommended the same tire. They did tell me that I could run a 7 paddle if I thought I would want to do more drags, but for overall performance and hills the 6 paddle would be their recommendation.

So I bought a set to try

:lol

·
Registered
284 Posts

So I bought a set to try
Your going to be very happy with that paddle tire.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow... Great informative post. Exactly what I was looking for. Just sold my sand stars for some haulers before thanksgiving weekend at glamis. From talking to my buddy and Dave at Fullerton and reading here, I think I'm gonna get a set of 21 tall on 8 inch wheel 6 paddle extreme on my 10 R with just fci, msd and dasa shorty for all around duning at glamis. Would it be a good idea to go with a 7 paddle as I plan on doing mild head work, cam, and piston in near future?? Glamis is 2 hrs away so I'll be going a lot this season

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I pm'd you back but you will still be fine even with mild port work with 6 paddle on your R.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Well I am back from a week of riding at Glamis. 80 gal of fuel burned through 3 quads, so we got some riding in!

I ended up canceling my order from Fullerton and I bought a set of 21x12-8 7 paddle extremes locally for dirt cheap. I ended up putting these, with a set of buff fronts, on my daughters quad (quad "2" in my dyno thread), and all I can say is WOW! These things are amazing!!! Her little 45/29 build was hauling ass. It would take my MX quad (51/33 on 21x11-8, 8 paddle Sand Gecko) by 5ish bike lengths by the top of old and by even more out at China Wall. I lined up against several quads that were equally or better built then mine, running 8 and 10 paddle hauler style tires. They all beat me off the line but by mid hill I was cruising past them. I had one guy with a drag bike so mad he was yelling at me claiming I was lying about my build! I do think that her mildly build quad would benefit from a 6 paddle over the 7. This set-up also made duning so much easier for her (and I). She tends to make poor decisions on where to stop. I only had to get her unstuck one time this trip, even uphill they would just float and go.

So to summarize, I LOVE this set-up. Whenever my daughter didn't want to ride I stole her quad to ride instead. I am so convinced that I am selling off all my other paddles and buying two more 6 paddle set-ups for next trip and putting these 7 paddle on my MX quad.

Hope this helps those who are unsure what to buy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
^^ awesome!! .....I got a lot of good info from flavtfan and Dave at Fullerton on a good set up for my 10 R with msd dasa and fci. I went with the 21/12/8 6 paddle extremes picked up from Fullerton and hit glamis T day weekend as well and they worked AMAZING!! I had front buffed Mohawks. The 6 hooked up great!! Harder to slide then the previous sand stars but still managed for sure. Overall was really impressed and happy I went with the 6 21/8 for all around glamis duning!! Can't wait to go back!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts