YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every year I drag my family out to Glamis (from TX) for thanksgiving. We are from SoCal so we had built Banshees. About 4 years ago I finally switched completly over to YFZs but I have never enjoyed them in the dunes.

All 4 of our quads dyno at 50-52 hp, and around 32ft-lb tq. I have been running 14/38 gearing on different 8 paddle tires (cheaper molded style, sand gecko, etc). I am thinking a taller 6-7 paddle tires is what I need but I am not sure what, or what gearing to run.

My riding style is duning only and I love to jump. I am not into drags. I am to the point of want to buy another banshee just for the dunes.

Yes, I read the paddle tire thread, but most of that is old info so I was looking to see what tje current preferred set-ups are.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I ride with stock gearing and extreme haulers and am very happy with the setup.. imo those molded tires are too heavy.Skat-Trak is the only way to go, 8 paddle hauler or extreme hauler you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another skat trak guy here too.
2010 450x with fci/msd/dasa, stock gearing

8" wheel with 21" 10 paddle extremes, pulls hard through 4th gear and some power loss in 5th (too much paddle for top end)

I'm going to be running 8 paddle extreme for the first time Halloween weekend in glamis. Should be a good balance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another skat trak guy here too.
2010 450x with fci/msd/dasa, stock gearing

8" wheel with 21" 10 paddle extremes, pulls hard through 4th gear and some power loss in 5th (too much paddle for top end)

I'm going to be running 8 paddle extreme for the first time Halloween weekend in glamis. Should be a good balance.
I love the 8 paddle extreme haulers...any more than 8 paddles and its just too much for dune bike.. now if you are shooting olds or into drags then yeah 10-12 paddle rippers or extremes..but ya gotta have more than 50 hp to get the most out of those monsters.. Personally on my raptor,yfz the 20" 8 paddle extreme hauler is perfect for duning..and I also run 8" rims,nothing beats a hauler.I have tried many different molded tires as I have been riding at glamis since 99 and I always come back to skat trak. Let us know how the dunes that were just opened are like! Basically after my first season they were closed and haven't been rode since.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So every year I drag my family out to Glamis (from TX) for thanksgiving. We are from SoCal so we had built Banshees. About 4 years ago I finally switched completly over to YFZs but I have never enjoyed them in the dunes.

All 4 of our quads dyno at 50-52 hp, and around 32ft-lb tq. I have been running 14/38 gearing on different 8 paddle tires (cheaper molded style, sand gecko, etc). I am thinking a taller 6-7 paddle tires is what I need but I am not sure what, or what gearing to run.

My riding style is duning only and I love to jump. I am not into drags. I am to the point of want to buy another banshee just for the dunes.

Yes, I read the paddle tire thread, but most of that is old info so I was looking to see what tje current preferred set-ups are.
One of my yfzs makes 52hp and stock gearing my 21x12x8 7 paddle hualer hooks up awesome and I can still turn really well and slide around I also jump a lot and do drag with vary good results. I did try my 22x11x8 10 paddle extreme super lights and I did not like all the top end I lost it was close to 4-5 bikes too much paddle so you don't need as much paddle as what theses guys are saying if i were to do it again I would try 22x11x8 6 paddle extreme or talk to some one who knows about gliders because I know nothing about them but see some fast guys run them hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my yfzs makes 52hp and stock gearing my 21x12x8 7 paddle hualer hooks up awesome and I can still turn really well and slide around I also jump a lot and do drag with vary good results. I did try my 22x11x8 10 paddle extreme super lights and I did not like all the top end I lost it was close to 4-5 bikes too much paddle so you don't need as much paddle as what theses guys are saying if i were to do it again I would try 22x11x8 6 paddle extreme or talk to some one who knows about gliders because I know nothing about them but see some fast guys run them hope this helps and good luck
Thanks, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I plan to call Fullerton Monday, but I was hoping for member feedback as well.

So the 4 sets of paddles I have, none of which I am not happy with, are

Skat-Track Hauler 12-10-10, 10 paddle
ITP Sand Stars 20-11-9, 8 paddle
Kenda Sand Gecko 21-11-8, 8 paddle
AMS Aerospeed 20-11-8, 8 paddle

The haulers are left over from one of my banshees, the rest came with different quads I bought. The Kenda have actually been the best, followed by the haulers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the 8 paddle extreme haulers...any more than 8 paddles and its just too much for dune bike.. now if you are shooting olds or into drags then yeah 10-12 paddle rippers or extremes..but ya gotta have more than 50 hp to get the most out of those monsters.. Personally on my raptor,yfz the 20" 8 paddle extreme hauler is perfect for duning..and I also run 8" rims,nothing beats a hauler.I have tried many different molded tires as I have been riding at glamis since 99 and I always come back to skat trak. Let us know how the dunes that were just opened are like! Basically after my first season they were closed and haven't been rode since.
Have you tried a 6 or 7 paddle hauler by chance? I agree that these molded tires blow. I was originally thinking an 8 paddle hauler until I read up on the paddle tire thread. Now I feel 8 is still too much paddle for overall general riding.

·
Registered
645 Posts
One more thing don't be afraid of super lights there not as thin as every body makes them out to be. i got my first set bead 2 bead I should have went super light there a lot lighter and not to much thiner I dune in Moses lake and it sucks over here trash every where have yet to poke a hole in eather set

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you read my post? I explained that anymore than 8 paddles is too much..I also run a 20" tire...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you tried a 6 or 7 paddle hauler by chance? I agree that these molded tires blow. I was originally thinking an 8 paddle hauler until I read up on the paddle tire thread. Now I feel 8 is still too much paddle for overall general riding.[

Buy what you want but I run 20"tires with 8 paddles like everyone else at glamis..you will be happy with 8 paddle when you are trying to climb a steep ass dune..they have never let me down and its not too much.. We are not talking about oregon or washington dunes we were talking about glamis.. the biggest set of dunes in the united states..buy some 6 paddles but that's what my son used to run on his 300 ex.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Have you tried a 6 or 7 paddle hauler by chance? I agree that these molded tires blow. I was originally thinking an 8 paddle hauler until I read up on the paddle tire thread. Now I feel 8 is still too much paddle for overall general riding.[

Buy what you want but I run 20"tires with 8 paddles like everyone else at glamis..you will be happy with 8 paddle when you are trying to climb a steep ass dune..they have never let me down and its not too much.. We are not talking about oregon or washington dunes we were talking about glamis.. the biggest set of dunes in the united states..buy some 6 paddles but that's what my son used to run on his 300 ex.
I don't know why your getting upset and you should think about what you said you are right some of biggest dunes in the us. more paddle = more drag = less speed going up the hill so why do you need that much paddle how much power are you putting down? Also the wrong tire setup can make even some of the fastest quad look like turds and I would know i had a set of 20 8 paddle and I looked like a dick face had money dumped in my quad and was 180lb loseing to stock quads with the big 3 and right tires setup. And ya I believe you when you say your running that tire along with a bunch of other guys at glamis who look like complete Boners at hill so much power and money but the wrong tire setup wondering why they are getting there @ss hand to them. So mr. Boner any other sweet advise you would like to give this man go right ahead I remember when I got my first set of paddles lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know why your getting upset and you should think about what you said you are right some of biggest dunes in the us. more paddle = more drag = less speed going up the hill so why do you need that much paddle how much power are you putting down? Also the wrong tire setup can make even some of the fastest quad look like turds and I would know i had a set of 20 8 paddle and I looked like a dick face had money dumped in my quad and was 180lb loseing to stock quads with the big 3 and right tires setup. And ya I believe you when you say your running that tire along with a bunch of other guys at glamis who look like complete Boners at hill so much power and money but the wrong tire setup wondering why they are getting there @ss hand to them. So mr. Boner any other sweet advise you would like to give this man go right ahead I remember when I got my first set of paddles lol
Lol..mr. boner? What are you like 12? Ok I am not racing bikes set up for drags or hill shooting and that wasn't the op's question..he wanted to know what the best tire gearing setup was for duning and jumping..so I gave my opinion if you don't like it sorry.. I don't think he is worried about getting his ass handed to him in a drag race.. I think he is just wanting to explore and dune and for that you need TRACTION the dunes here are extremely steep and huge and the sand is dry and soft,not wet.. It never rains here...so maybe in your area less paddles are ok because you hook up in wet sand but here its DRY..Don't offer advice on glamis if you have never been there..wet sand =traction, dry sand= no traction lol...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Lol..mr. boner? What are you like 12? Ok I am not racing bikes set up for drags or hill shooting and that wasn't the op's question..he wanted to know what the best tire gearing setup was for duning and jumping..so I gave my opinion if you don't like it sorry.. I don't think he is worried about getting his ass handed to him in a drag race.. I think he is just wanting to explore and dune and for that you need TRACTION the dunes here are extremely steep and huge and the sand is dry and soft,not wet.. It never rains here...so maybe in your area less paddles are ok because you hook up in wet sand but here its DRY..Don't offer advice on glamis if you have never been there..wet sand =traction, dry sand= no traction lol...

What kinda of duning are you doing because at one point or another your going to be hill shooting at glamis. also he has tried many setups as have I and a 20x8 paddle suck the tire is to small and takes away from a good ride 20x8 10 paddles was my first setup and I can say I would never go back plus they spin a lot because of how small they are. and your thing about traction and more is better dude are you riding a 80-95hp quad spinning tire every where? I under stand it's dry there. lets say his just duning with no hills or drag racing if your just riding around and lay into while your already moving with 7paddles and start spinning you have a lot of power when you say every one is running your setup just an FYI your not everybody there is so many people there running different setups not even funny. And for as far as advise gose I would bet he's way better off going with mine then yours am 12 years old I know every thing...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've found 6 paddle haulers hard to beat for builds under 54 hp...B2B or SLS. I also have some comp cut padla brats in a 6 paddle and they do really well in Dumont, Glamis, and St Anthony and are my main tire. I use the haulers for backup and run a 14/38 setup...also hard to beat for overall riding. I ride soft desert sand all the time....Amargosa in Nevada is even softer than Dumont and Glamis and guess what, my 6 paddle work great. I've had 7 paddles and prefer the 6. Dave at Fullerton will more than likely recommend a 6 paddle on an 8x8 wheel and he knows what he's talking about if you tell him exactly what you're using them for. he's sold a tire or two and done some riding in glamis a time or two lol. most guys that do a little racing will run an 8x7 wheel. I have a friend that borrowed my 6 paddle B2B haulers in St Anthony and he loved them even moreso than the 8 paddle that he was using...he was at 58hp and 38tq with his build. Since you are a duner only, I personally would recommend a 6 paddle 21-12-8 EXTREME on an 8x8 wheel over a Hauler and the 8inch wheel with a 21" tire will give you some nice cushion for jumping. I'll be in Glamis for Thanksgiving as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

I've climbed hills much steeper than anything at glamis just fine on 6 paddle 21" tires. glamis is the biggest set of dunes doesn't mean necessarily the are the tallest dunes. trust me, guys with hp up in the mid 50's run 6-7 paddle and it's more than enough. the guys in Oregon and Washington run more paddle.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've climbed hills much steeper than anything at glamis just fine on 6 paddle 21" tires. glamis is the biggest set of dunes doesn't mean necessarily the are the tallest dunes. trust me, guys with hp up in the mid 50's run 6-7 paddle and it's more than enough. the guys in Oregon and Washington run more paddle.
Thank you sir lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
What kinda of duning are you doing because at one point or another your going to be hill shooting at glamis. also he has tried many setups as have I and a 20x8 paddle suck the tire is to small and takes away from a good ride 20x8 10 paddles was my first setup and I can say I would never go back plus they spin a lot because of how small they are. and your thing about traction and more is better dude are you riding a 80-95hp quad spinning tire every where? I under stand it's dry there. lets say his just duning with no hills or drag racing if your just riding around and lay into while your already moving with 7paddles and start spinning you have a lot of power when you say every one is running your setup just an FYI your not everybody there is so many people there running different setups not even funny. And for as far as advise gose I would bet he's way better off going with mine then yours am 12 years old I know every thing...
Lol...what's the difference between 7 and 8 paddle? Nothing..12 year olds like to argue..I can't understand half of what you wrote...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts