YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this really nice 2007 YFZ450 with low hours since Nov 2008. Probably have 4 trips on it to Glamis, run Olds a couple times for fun and did some average dunning. In all this time my fan has never come on once. I have a CT pipe, Pro Design intake and its jetted spot on. I should still think my fan would come on once right? My buddy has a 2007 Bill Balance with stock pipe, (core removed), lid off and jetted and his fan comes on almost every ride we go on and when we stop for a break his is buzzing but mine ins't.

Any ideas. How can I check the fan without having to overheat the motor to get it to come one. I'd like to figure this out before summer.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
the fan will come on if it over heats, if it dont come ok you should be ok, does it come on if you leave it to idle

remove the multi plug from the side of the rad, throttle side, put a paper clip across the pin, the fan should come on, i have never known one to fail

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not even at idle. I've physically never heard the fan. The bike runs sweet and never seems like its running hot and the temp light has never come on.

Not sure what type of riding I have to put the thing through to get the fan to come on.

I'll check that plug with a paper clip. If it comes on does that mean it works?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
if it comes on with the paper clip, the fan and all the wiring are fine, and if you are sure that the fan does not work, then its the temp sensor at fault

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do alot of woods riding and my fans comes on alot if I've been in the tight stuff. I've also noticed that the radiator can get pretty boogered if it's muddy (or I get stuck going where I shouldn't). Light came on once from the radiator getting covered, but I was near a stream and was able to clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
As long as you're moving enough that the radiator can get plenty of air, it's more than likely not getting hot enough for the fan to come on. The fan on my '04 only came on once before I removed it, and that was because I let the quad sit and idle for a long time, then putted around in first gear for a long time. It was when I first got my YFZ and was a pretty tough trail and I was stuck behind a bunch of utility quads that were going real slow. I've had my fan removed for over 3 years now and haven't had any trouble at all.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
ive only had my fan come on once in the year and i bit ive had it, and thats cuz it was idling for about a half hour while i got all my stuff ready. Luckily it was about -30C out that day lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 11 2009, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745336
As long as you're moving enough that the radiator can get plenty of air, it's more than likely not getting hot enough for the fan to come on. The fan on my '04 only came on once before I removed it, and that was because I let the quad sit and idle for a long time, then putted around in first gear for a long time. It was when I first got my YFZ and was a pretty tough trail and I was stuck behind a bunch of utility quads that were going real slow. I've had my fan removed for over 3 years now and haven't had any trouble at all.[/b]

True. I have a CenTec Digital temp. reader. I was just messing with it one day to see how hot it gets. it took FOREVER idling to get to 120 and I turned my fan on and it went down to 118 with the fan on all the time. This engine should be fine as long as its jetted spot on or even a little rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts