YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Nice YFZ man!!!!!!! I want one but have sunk a good bit of money into my Z and its not that old. I don't know what to do. I would really like to ride the YFZ to see how much i liked it. Once again.. sweet quad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah sorry i didn't figure it out till after.

but thanks yah i love it its awesome

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice YFZ man!!!!!!! I want one but have sunk a good bit of money into my Z and its not that old. I don't know what to do. I would really like to ride the YFZ to see how much i liked it. Once again.. sweet quad.
Sell it...take the loss....get out while you can....I did. I knew I would never get the money I had into my Z out of it. Z's are SUPER trail machines....that's it. It cost too much to make them super at anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hulkster I don't know if I'd rule out the Z400 that quick. It's not a YFZ but there is a huge difference in price and with that varience you can go a long way with Z. I've found the Z's out the door now for $4895 compare that to the YFZ best deals at $6995 OTD. Figure another $140 or so saved in tax. With $2200.00 in your pocket and shopping wise you can make the Z out handle it and make the power as good or better then the YFZ.

If I pick up a YFZ I'll keep my Z. I like it and with the mods I have now it moves pretty darn good. There's always another member in the family that could use it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not a YFZ but there is a huge difference in price and with that varience you can go a long way with Z. I've found the Z's out the door now for $4895 compare that to the YFZ best deals at $6995 OTD.
ok...lets add it up

Z400: 4900 + tax

Frame: around 2000 (the YFZ chassis is much closer to that of an R frame in size and ergonomics...and the Z's crack). Yhe YFZ is smaller and sits lower than the Z.

Front Shocks: 1000 (the stock Z fronts I wouldn't put on a lawnmower...the YFZ's fronts are supposedly better than Works Pro Series)

External Engine Mods: 350 (with a cheap but excellent slipon such as HMF, filter setup, and jets).

450 Yoshi kit: 2000 (may be 1700)

Carb: 450

Axle: 450

Now that is 9150....and just to be "YFZ-like"

Roberts Sports center sells YFZ's for 6595 + applicable tax out the door.

This would leave the YFZ owner $2555 for mods.

Face it...the Z's had thier year...they are a great quad for trails and such. But for a racer..the YFZ is much wiser choice. Even if ya had the Z's frame gusseted (to fix cracking problem) they still would be at huge disadvantage on track because of the YFZ's more R like handling and ride. Sure...if ya had blasters and 300ex's...a Z feels fast...but if ya had something REALLY fast...the Z is fun....but not real fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hulkster, I think you might have extraraited just a little bit on the lower height.

Looking at the specs.
Z400
Seat Height: 810mm (31.9 in.)
YFZ450
Seat Height 31.5”
less then 1/2" is hardly noticable.

Doesn't take more then $150-$200 to fix the frame on a Z400. It's only $2000 if you want a complete aluminum frame which is very extreme.

The shocks from riders review aren't really all that and a bag of chips. I would say a set of Works front and back on the Z would be more then equivlent. You can find a full set for around $900 both front and rear. Like I said shop wise.

Motors stock for stock aren't that different power wise ore by speed. Your going to spend about the same amount of money on each one for bolton's. The YFZ will respond better to the mods no doubt more cc's are great aren't they.

Both require a axle upgrade for serious jumping. I think thats why LSR and GYTR both have aftermarket axles out already for YFZ. The Z400 stock axles now are much better then the early models.

Carb cost I agree with you the stock Z400 carb is a big POS. And a huge HP restriction for the Z.

We still have money left for a set of ($500) +1 or +2 a-arms on the Z and possibly a new swingarm for the back. About $625 for the Burgards.

As I agree'd with you earlier the YFZ is a superior quad from the factory but your paying the premium to get it. And I don't think that makes the Z400 a obsolete piece of machinery or a non race machine. It just needs a few helpers to get it there.

Good debate, let's try to keep it civil and entertaining. Like I said I'm looking to own both sooner or later so I'm not really biased just stating my opinion.

Peace.
Jeff

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i just got back from some holidays that quad is awesome its the only 4stroke so far that i have ridin that i like. i softened all the suspension stuff that helped since i'm like 120lb. power is awesome and it hooks up pretty good 2. i'll see maby i can get some action pictures sometime soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sweet ride man :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is my 450. The front plastic is race cut. It has the carbon fiber exhaust and a polished PRM grab bar. Only had it three days so more yet to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
New Kid on the Block :eek Hum... If they could talk, wonder what would be said :lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
:lol .... Yellow Chicken!!! I guess that make my Banshee the Chicken.... :lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts