YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dam thing had a problem from the beg. :angry :angry .. it never starts.... the battery died when i first bought it, then it was recharged... then i had to jump it to start... then when ride and i shift into first from nuetral it shuts off... wtf is wrong with the piece of garbage..... i feel like i got screwed!

now the battery is fine and after 50 tries it still won't start... it did once for about 30 sec,, then shut off... then i tried again, and tried giving it some gas, bam shut off agian...

I'm taking it to the dealer this week, and i hate the dealer, they don't know crap... anyone else have this experience? :angry

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same problem! FAST1 helped me with this.... Pull the fuel hose off of your carbuerator and make sure the gas is on and put a cup underneath the hose so when fuel comes out its not everywhere, then try it on Reserve... see if any gas comes out... See what happens.

Edit- If no gas comes out... fill the tank with gas, My friend had this problem.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Put some gas in it. It will run like a raped ape.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Gas...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Start from the beginning. Was it like this as soon as you brought it home from the dealership? If so, you should've taken it back right then. If not, exactly what were you doing right before it started acting whacked? Were you riding in extreme wet (i.e. right after a downpour and trails are full of water), did you just fill up the gas tank and then it quit running right, were you messing with the jetting?

Start with the basics:
1.) Check full flow as described above. When the fuel petcock is set at "ON" the fuel is being sucked from a small tube inside the gas tank that's got a small filter on the end of it. If you got any trash from dirty gas or something fell off the funnel, etc. than it's entirely possible that it got trapped by this filter and is impeding fuel flow. When you switch to "RESERVE" the gas bypasses this filtered tube and goes straight through the petcock. **Note: I'm not exactly sure if the YFZ specifically has the filter on the end of the tube inside the gas tank but I do know that the tube sticks up into the tank several inches**

2. Remove your air filter and clean it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wish I could help. I normally don't ride in nuetral but when I do I never have any problems shifting into first. What....... As far as the shuting of goes put a filter on it they collect dirt very easy. There is just a tiny screen in the carb. Sounds like a fuel problem. Lack of. Maybe it's a badly adjusted acc. pump from the factory. Maybe you fauled the plug already.Maybe...Maybe...Figure out what changed since it ran.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D Very good... thanx for all the help guys, i really appreciate it.. i do love my bike, but i was very pissed today cause thi happened again and again... i didn't mess w/ anything, and i'm very anal w/ everything that goes into the bike.... i'll check it out before i bring it to the stealer...

thanx again :yfz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I seriously think u do not know how to ride. :stupid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine kinda acted the same way right after I brought it home.
I looked in the gas tank, it seemed about 1/2 full, come to find out
it needed to be put on reserve!
Either fill the tank up or try your reserve.
This may sound silly but it happend to me :lol
Geno

·
Registered
631 Posts
i haven't had any problems with mine yet except it trying to throw me off the back every time i ride it :lol

andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
the only problem that i have had with mine since i got in july is that i would have to go wipe the dust off of it since i havent had time to ride it since november :O

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
i know that even if it was out of gas you will never tell :uhoh

·
Registered
631 Posts
Originally posted by desertratt45@Dec 23 2003, 01:01 AM
the only problem that i have had with mine since i got in july is that i would have to go wipe the dust off of it since i havent had time to ride it since november :O
i know how you feel i haven't got to ride mine as much as i wanted to. really sucks

andy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha.. very funny... to tell you guys the truth.. i think i may have wet a spark plug or something.. but then again, would it even turn on? mine did turn on for like 20 sec...

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I got mine I took it out that night and had similar problems..

Someone mentioned that about taking the gas line off and seeing if gas came out.. They were on the tract to my problem..

First fill the tank full with gas and turn the peck kock off.

Take the gas line off the carb and have a cup ready..
WHen you take that line off do it VERY Gently as not to disturb anything that maybe in the lines..

When you have it off it should start spurting gass at you then stop since the **** is off..

If it doesn't spurt gas then there is a problem with the peck **** like mine did..

Now if you do have gas and its just a little.. Turn the peck to regular and see if gas flows.. if not you have my problem..

I don't know what exacty was wrong with mine but it seemed that in that there was something clocked in the peck **** that only allowed a little gas into the engine just enough to allow it to run for a few seconds to a few minutes at a time..

My fix was I took the entire tank off the quad drained it into a CLEAN 5 gal bucket..
I took the hose off the peck **** and blew it out with some compressed air..
I then removed the Peck off of tank and very cafuly blew it out with compressed air..
That did the trick..

Good Luck I hope you have the same problem I did and its an easy fix.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this sounds funny but I learned this on my Cannondale. The Cannondale's seemed to be hypersensitive with regards to clean fuel so what I started doing to prolong the life of the fuel filter was pour the gas through a coffee filter. I put a coffee filter into the funnel and then filled the tank of the quad making sure to not allow the level of fuel in the funnel to get above the top of the coffee filter. If there's some sort of design issue where fuel contaminants are clogging the "ON" side of the fuel petcock this may help out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok,,, picking it up in a half hour.. they said it was a idle problem, i hope so, i need to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im doubting it was an idle problem cause if that was the case I am sure you would have used your trottle when it did start to keep it going..
You said it didn't want to fire up at all..

I would still suggest doing the same thing I did and take the tank out empy the gas clean the peck **** and fuel line then fill with new CLEAN premium gas..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts