YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new Thunder Alley pipe and put it on tonight. Here were some of the highlights from order to install:

Every time I've called, Bob himself has answered the phone, and after the first call, knew me by name. He was very helpful in making sure the right questions were asked, considering every pipe he makes is a hand-made custom pipe, the type of riding you do along with where you want the power range to be is important. From order to ship was a little less than 2 weeks.

I ordered the pipe without the ceramic coating, as I'm going to use a seperate company to do that, the pipe simply has it's natural metal look - which I have to say doesn't look bad. I didn't like the look in previous posted pictures, but seeing it in person, well - it looks better than I thought.

Unlike my previous Yosh Ti system, there are no springs or hooks to keep the header pipe and the muffler/cone together. At first I wasn't sure that I was real excited about that, but after installing it, it's as solid as anything I ever put on, and the clean look it great. As a side note, on my Yosh exhaust I could sometimes hear the springs rattle against the pipe which was pretty annoying.

Inspecting the system shows you that the system is definitely a quality system. The welds are small and straight, install on the pipe was about 8 min. total as both pieces bolted right up in place the first time. Fit of the pipes are first rate! If I had to complain about anything, it would have to be that one of the holes in the header flange was slightly off, making the allen bolt a little hard to line up - that added on a couple of minutes to the install.

The header pipe is 6" longer than stock. I asked about the 8" version, but Bob said that unless this was a 100% drag bike only, the 2" difference wouldn't matter. I liked the idea of my previous pipe being tucked under so as not to burn anything on the pipe, and was concerned that this longer header pipe (with no tabs for the stock heat shield) would stick out. After comparrison, the new header pipe, while taking up a little more room in front of the motor, does not stick out any farther to the side that the stock or previous header pipe I was using.

Another thing worth mentioning is the weight of the complete system. I originally purchased the Yosh Ti system partially because of the claimed weight of 3.8 lbs under stock. I don't know exactely how much the Thunder Alley system weights, but simply holding it i can tell you it's not much more than the Yosh system - this kit is very light!

After installation, I started the bike up and was greeted to a new and very cool sounding exhaust. The TA is definitely lower, throatier sounding, it almost growls. It is also definitely louder than my Yosh pipe, but not unpleasantly so. One of the first things I noticed was that throttle response was quicker, and there was no off idle stall or hiccup. As I ripped up and down the street a couple of time (not much of a test granted, but good enough for now) I was very impressed with the gains in the low and mid ranges, which is where I requested Bob build the pipe to run. What was more impressive was that I don't feel like I've lost anything on the top end, as can sometimes happen with some pipes - if anything I feel the top end is a little stronger. The power build up is smoother than before, and definitely stronger.

I realize that I haven't listed many issues with this pipe, but that's because I'm very impressed and happy with this pipe. Customer service was great, build quality is there, assembly was easy, and the results were top notch!! I would recommend this product to anyone whose thinking about it, or at the very least - woudl tell someone to include this pipe on their list of possibles.

Bob - Great Job!!

Thanks,
Nils

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice, Two weeks though? I ordered mine nearly two months ago, and got it just the other day. I did go with the ceramic coating though. I will have to wait until next week to test it out seeing as I still have my stock jetting. Well nice pipe, and reveiw. I can't wait to get this thing on and running to see what all of buz is about.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ceramic coating is the one part of the process which Bob doesn't control, it would have added 2 weeks to my wait. Without the coating, 12 days from order to receiving the pipe. Only reason besides the coating explaining why you've waited so long, is that you've had to deal with the added time of the holidays while I haven't.

It'll be worth the wait - you will love the new pipe!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Looks great Nils.

I just had a buddy of mine here order one from Bob also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So he custom makes the pipe for your needs? That's cool. What about a quieter pipe?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, because this is a fully custom pipe, I'm sure Bob will put together what ever you need. As a side note, I don't think the pipe is much louder than my Yosh, which was one of the quietest on the market. Louder, yes, but definitely not bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
dude thats awsome! sick quad...

what size are your rims and tires... i love the set up

·
Registered
100 Posts
hey whats bobs # and how much was your pipe shipped?

·
Registered
519 Posts
How is the performance out of the pipe??? Did you notice significant increase in power and snappyness? You say its only a little louder than your old Yosh which was the quietess on the market .... comparing to a stock YFZ exhaust on a stock motor .... how much louder is it?? I know performance is the main thing I should be looking for and not the sound .... but I would like a little more grunt ... I wouldnt want my bike to be like a pitbull in a chihuahua's body ... all strength and no growl..... know what I mean??

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Overboosted450 - Bob's number is 559-584-8109, I went without the ceramic coating, and it was $350 shipped (I think..)

Quad18start - The Yosh is a good pipe, so keep that in mind when I tell you that the TA pipe produces noticeably more power, smooths out the power delivery, got rid of my off idle hiccup - better throttle response, and produces more noticeable low end grunt. I couldn't be happier with it. It's hard to explain in a post how loud a pipe it, but the TA definitely has a deeper, throatier, growl than my Yosh. It's not a quiet system, but definitely not ear splitting like some - I'll be able to ride and listen all day long. I like the TA sound better. Additionally the two systems felt like there was very little weight difference - although I did not weight them on a scale.

If you're thinking about the TA system, do a search and see what other have said about it, proof is best by word of mouth.

:search

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I got to ride my quad yesterday for the first time with the Thunder Alley pipe. WOW, lots more low end. I got mine with the ceramic coating and it looks really nice. The power just pulls so hard from the bottom it is amazing. worth the wait. I had Paul Woodward help me dial in the jetting and do the cam mod, I also got one of his rear brake reservoir relocators, it is awsome looking. I will try and get some pictures of the quad this week seeing as it is neering completion.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by velocity111@Feb 9 2004, 09:23 PM
RFep - Congrats, they really are the shiz! I told you they were worth the wait. :rock  :rock

I will have to give ya'll a review on the new ESR pipw that wil be arriving on Thursday :D

I will let ya know on Tuesday when I get back from Dumont.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts