YFZ Central banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
That polyrex em grease is that something my dealer should have I stopped at advanced auto they didn’t have any em grease.
I will be doing these parts too. Can anyone explain why polyrex EM grease? I looked it up and electric motor grease?? What am I missing? Has nothing to do with application which would suggest to me nearly anything could be used and maybe antiseize better for different metal interface??

I love following shop manuals too, but prior experience tells me many things are not critical and mere suggestions and multiple ways to reach same outcome.

That looks like assembly lube/anti seize

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Those gytr rear aluminum sprockets how long they last?
Decent in dirt bikes but the wear will ramp up as slop develops. Not sure how I feel about it. I might try the dual metal renthals on dirt bike, but not sure worth it on quad. They dont make that one for quad anyway. I like renthal stuff but tend to think the dirt grooves are gimmicky more than anything else. If you want reliable lasting chain sprockets blocks, can't go wrong with oring/steel/fresh plastic guides

·
Registered
477 Posts
I will be doing these parts too. Can anyone explain why polyrex EM grease? I looked it up and electric motor grease?? What am I missing? Has nothing to do with application which would suggest to me nearly anything could be used and maybe antiseize better for different metal interface??

I love following shop manuals too, but prior experience tells me many things are not critical and mere suggestions and multiple ways to reach same outcome.

That looks like assembly lube/anti seize

Most likely has a higher melting point than standard lithium soap grease. In other words it’s probably going to stay where it’s applied and not run dry after five years of hot temps and mud puddles. If they tell you use loctite, lithium soap, molybdenum assembly lube/oil, polyrex em. These are not suggestions they are direct instructions. There’s a reason why. If you don’t use it or use something else you run the risk of messing something up and you won’t be able to blame it on the Yamaha mechanic. Your going to eat the cost. Not someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
What metal it’s made of will make no difference. It will still be contacting at the same points and spinning at the same speeds.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Why does metal not matter?

Let’s do a physics experiment. Grab your left forearm with with your right hand. Grip it tightly. Now act like your revving a dirt bike. Gets hot pretty quick doesn’t it? Not even made of metal is it? That’s called friction.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I’ve done some reading and some people say marine grade synthetic grease. I’m going to stop at my dealer tomorrow and see what they have and maybe tractor supply.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I picked this up at my dealer. They are a pretty good dealership and they use this they said I couldn’t find the grease from the manual anywhere and online only saw the tubes for the grease gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Could have used your grease gun and used the plunger to push it into a plastic container. I’ve had to do it before. If they said they use it I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I have OCD so I go out of my way to use the stuff suggested in the manual.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I’d double check with LSR on that axle locknut. Others have tightened it too far and messed up their carrier.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts