YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I set my YFZ suspension up for MX i.e. A arms/axle, will that take away from my sand performace (cruising/hill shooting)?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would say no, it won't hurt anything. I am sure it will help when actually duning, but I am not sure what it will do for dragging. I know it is noce to have the rear either wider, or more narrow than the front so the rear tires are going through undisturbed sand.

Why are you wanting to go wider?

Man these things dune great.

·
Registered
631 Posts
i would have to say no the only thing you will do with a arms & swing arms is make it wider & maybe longer if you go with an extended swingarm. i wouldn't think it would hurt your duning but i haven't never rode in the sand like that.

andy

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 7 2003, 10:46 AM

I'd consider running MX if I can find a track(s) w/o doubles, etc. But this machine although lower than the raptor, still needs to get lower and wider to turn well.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by selector@Dec 7 2003, 11:52 AM

I'd consider running MX if I can find a track(s) w/o doubles, etc. But this machine although lower than the raptor, still needs to get lower and wider to turn well.
Yeah there is a track in Vegas that I may run next spring, there are just alot of big tables and step ups. and I hear a track is maybe gonna be built here in Pahrump.

I backed off the preload on my front and rear as well as went with offset front wheels to make it ride smoother and sit lower, seems to work well for duning and dragging, but I would not be able to MX with it like this and my fat A$$ riding it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
the MX setup wont take away from your sand performance at all. I know you were talking about an extended swingarm ... that will change things. Your wheelspin will increase big time and you'll keep the front end down better but the ability to turn, hit whoops and be pretty quick through sand trails will all be a little tougher.

with the MX setup you will be even more stable while side hilling and if they are dialed well and setup for your weight perfect than you might be able to get through the woops faster. Probably not though ... unless you are having a hard time hanging on now.

if you are still trying to save weight that you can pick up some marvin shaw drag shocks ... they are real light. I would even think about hitting decent jump with these though

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could always make my wife's into the MX machine and leave mine alone.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ahhhhh, the beauty of having two.

But I assume ya'll weigh different like m and my wife (90-100lbs different) so the shock setup would be a problem

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
in sand, the wider you go, the more power you lose....so keep that in mind...

you could get an adjustable axle and put it all the way wide for mx, then when you go to the dunes, whenever you jack up the rear end to change tires, just take the hub off and make it all the way skinnier :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Erik,
As a long time MX guy I would say that handling-wise the YFZ could benefit from being lower and wider but your options in this category are limited. If you go with a LSR setup with some PEP or AXIS shox you are looking at adding about 10-15lbs because of the extra weight of all that steel you will be adding. If you go with a lightweight TT or mp racing G2 setup www.mpracing.net you will get off much lighter but you couldnt pay me to take a big triple or double on one of those lightweight setups. My advice would be make your wifes the MXer and yours the lightweight hillshooter. If she will let you :)
Isaac

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
on bikes set up for dragging, they stay skinny(not extended axles) because when they are pushing that much horsepower it takes away from the motor when it has to spin 2 tires that much further apart. i really dont know how to explain it any better than that...lol... :lol

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by selector+Dec 7 2003, 10:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (selector @ Dec 7 2003, 10:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pahrump@Dec 7 2003, 10:46 AM

I'd consider running MX if I can find a track(s) w/o doubles, etc. But this machine although lower than the raptor, still needs to get lower and wider to turn well. [/b][/quote]
I'm set up for MX and I didn't notice any difference in the sand. If you don't want doubles, then Delta is about the only local track that you would want to ride. It's mostly tables.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts