YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motor is toast and hopefully a new (new to me at least) will be here by the end of the week. While the bike is apart I got bored and decided to repack and polish the muffler. Repacking was straight forward. Pull off the end cap, then unbolt and pull off the endcap/pipe assembly. Pull out the old packing. Wrap the internal pipe with packing. I used electrical tape to keep it wound up while I pushed it through the muffler casing. I'm sure electrical tape wasn't the best tape but it was handy. I've heard masking tape is good cause it will burn off cleaner. My electrical tape might stink a bit. Push the end cap with the pipe & packing back through the muffler and then put the other end cap on. Seriously 10 minutes worth of work, less if you have air tools to spin out the muffler bolts. Some might choose to replace their muffler bearings while its apart, I decided to take my chances.

While the muffler was apart I decided to clean it up. I used this metal polish thats in a lil blue can from Orielly's. I love thsi stuff. It reaks so dont breathe it or you might pass out. It works great on old dingy metal though. I wasn't going for a showroom finish, but I did want to bring some bling back. 10 minutes of elbow grease and my pipe is shiny again. i can't do anything for the dings but it looks a million times better than it did.

BTW it took longer to type this than it did to repack/polish the muffler.

Here are a few pics.
I didn't plan on polishing when I was repacking, I just started rubbing and it kept working

The pics dont do it justice, especially with how dull it was before.

Picture of the polish.

You can see how much packing was burnt out.

New packing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Feb 28 2009, 11:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752319
you need a cloth wheel!! you can get that can looking like chrome in a matter of minutes.[/b]
I thought about that. How fast should I spin a cloth wheel? Air tool speed or cordless drill speeds? Can I get one at Orielly's? Really I just rubbed on it and it came clean so I kept rubbing. 10 minutes later it was clean enough for me. I know its gonna get scratched/dinged up again so I was happy with pretty shiny.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
QUOTE (gobeer net @ Mar 1 2009, 01:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752330
I thought about that. How fast should I spin a cloth wheel? Air tool speed or cordless drill speeds? Can I get one at Orielly's? Really I just rubbed on it and it came clean so I kept rubbing. 10 minutes later it was clean enough for me. I know its gonna get scratched/dinged up again so I was happy with pretty shiny.[/b]

i think a drill with a good 6 inch diameter wheel would be fine, it might be a little fast, but you dont have to worry about burning the paint off like you do with buffing wheel on a car...

just get a good amount of polish on it and go easy, do the back first to dial it it, its a hard thing to explain on the interent, you just gotta play with it and go easy till its shiny.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another AWESOME polish is DIAMOND BRITE Truck Box Polish. I know you can get it at lowes but Im sure it can be ordered of the net. It works wonders on aluminum both by hand or with a MOTHERS POWER BALL on a drill.

·
Registered
151 Posts
+ a vote for a Mother's Powerball and Mother's Metal Polish! I just took a set of nerfs and a bumper from sandblasted to shiny in 4 hours with that setup. That sounds long, until you polish a set of nerfs yourself.

BTW that definitely won't look half bad when the clamps are back on it! Good use of time for the resulting quality. Just did the same to my Yoshi TRC. Had to take a baseball-sized dent out of it first, though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts