YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding my 04 yfz on sunday and it just shut of on me and when i would press the starter it would act like my battery was dead and turn over very slowly, so i got it pulled back to my truck and went home, when i got home i hit the starter and it started right up and ran fine, so i charged the battery yesterday completly and today i rode it down my driveway and it just shut off and did the same thing but then i just charge the battery for a little and it is alright i dont know what it is, is it eletrical or something else, while it is running it seems fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (foxridr450 @ Feb 24 2009, 01:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750462
i was riding my 04 yfz on sunday and it just shut of on me and when i would press the starter it would act like my battery was dead and turn over very slowly, so i got it pulled back to my truck and went home, when i got home i hit the starter and it started right up and ran fine, so i charged the battery yesterday completly and today i rode it down my driveway and it just shut off and did the same thing but then i just charge the battery for a little and it is alright i dont know what it is, is it eletrical or something else, while it is running it seems fine.[/b]
\

make sure you leave your headlights on because your battery wont charge when its running unless there on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think it has anything to do with any thing electrical, because when i turn the motor over with a ratchet some times it will turn over perfectly fine for like ten turns but then it gets really tight and can barely turn over but then it gets fine again, i checked my timing i do have the cam mod done, i dont know why it is tightning up

the battery seems like it is dead because the motor gets really hard to turn over and then it really drains the battery if you try to keep on cranking it

·
Registered
946 Posts
Could be a bad crank bearing, had it happen to me, when the bearing gets hot it expands and locks the motor up, then when it cools down its fine again until you ride it and get it hot again... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (foxridr450 @ Feb 24 2009, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750476
i dont think it has anything to do with any thing electrical, because when i turn the motor over with a ratchet some times it will turn over perfectly fine for like ten turns but then it gets really tight and can barely turn over but then it gets fine again, i checked my timing i do have the cam mod done, i dont know why it is tightning up

the battery seems like it is dead because the motor gets really hard to turn over and then it really drains the battery if you try to keep on cranking it[/b]

i figured out why the motor starts to turn over slowly, its because the cams come out of there slots and get jammed up on the things that cover the cams you can see marks from where they were rubbing i dont even know how to fix that, i am thinking getting rid of it and goin to a honda

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thought it could have been the bearings too, but i just let it set all night after it locked up again and it still wont turn over, when u take the cams out u can see how they are binding up because there are marks on the things that hold them down i dont know, but then they will get back into the right spot and it will turn over easily again and start right up until they come out again and lock up i dont know how that is even possile i have every thing together right, i did just rebuild it recently but i have had about 5 rides in since then and it ran fine all the other times.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Sounds like to me a bad bottom rod bearing. It has the same symptoms as you discribe. Just like the guy above said and it sounds like he know first hand.

let us know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (sabrecat @ Feb 25 2009, 09:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751016
Sounds like to me a bad bottom rod bearing. It has the same symptoms as you discribe. Just like the guy above said and it sounds like he know first hand.

let us know.[/b]

i know that it is the cams because all i have to do when it locks up is take the cams off and it turns over again and then on the caps that bolt the cams down u can see wear marks and grooves from where somehow the circle clip comes out and binds it up, some times if it locks up all i have to do is rock it back and fourth in gear and the clip will fall back into place, so i am not sure if the clips are bad or if i need to buy new cam covers too, i could not find a place that just sold the covers and there are none on ebay either unless u buy the rest of the head, as soon is i get this thing fixed i think im getting rid of it every time i ride it i come home and spend a couple 100 bucks on parts to fix it again, in the last 2 months i think i spent like 500 and that is just for chit that broke, i dont know if mine is just chitty or if there all like that, im thinkin honda 450r or i might just go back to a 450 bike

·
Registered
140 Posts
bye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts