YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out riding this last week and recently my battery has been draining. I could charge it up and it would start and run fine. Its been getting worse though, I would charge it up and start it but then like 5 mins later if i shut the quad off the battery would be dead. I got a friend to push me and the quad bump started and ran fine. We were cruising down a road and suddenly the quad started sputtering and cutting in and out until it died. I tryed bump starting it with the momentum i had but it only ran like crap for about 3 seconds. Its been sitting for a bit and today i tried starting it (after having the battery on a charger) and it started but i would have to be on about half throttle for it to stay running. It was puking out a bit of black smoke while sputtering like crazy. I think i have a bad battery since the bike is an 04 but i dont know what to think about the motor. could it be the valves? cause they havent been adjusting for a long time.

any help would be great.
thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You probably are at the point of having to rebuild it. Do you have the head lights removed? If so you need to get a resistor for it to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It kind of sounds like the stator to me, they slowly get weaker and their job is to help charge the battery and produce spark, (at least i know banshee stators work something like that,minus the battery part.) I would definitly check the valves while you have it apart , that woudlnt hurt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think i have to rebuild it(at least i hope not) cause i just rebuilt it last spring. Its been through one race season but should still be good. and if i had to rebuild it wouldnt it show signs over some time... not just all the sudden. I am going to get the valves adjusted and probably get a new stator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could the problem be the cdi? I was just thinking because i read somewhere that the cdi controls spark and timing. And since my cdi is stock. I need to find a reason to go aftermarket with it. :icon_cool: I thinking i might just go with a kicker and gut the harness. All race season ive been having electrical problems. :angryfire:

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody know what the symptoms of these could be? Any input would be great i just need to know which item to go with first. Cause im hoping i wont have to buy a whole bunch of new parts. Im hearing stator on here. and cdi from other places.? please help

thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05. I kept charging it and it would run fine then one day it just wouldn't run it started spitting and sputering I replaced the battery and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
614 Posts
They won't run for crap on a weak battery. Start there and let us know.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Batteries do need replacement eventually...

Especially if it's an 04 stock battery...

That's 5 years....

Good car battery will last you 4-5 years...

Replace the battery like stated before...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay well i replaced the battery and still no go. Quads doing the same spitting and sputturing and wont idle for sh!t. Any ideas?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay well i found out the problem. I was going to check to see if the jets were plugged and when i opened the 17mm bolt on the bottom of the carb... the pilot jet fell out with it. Stuck it back in and started it up... quad runs like a dream. :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
lol, that's always fun

Maybe get a refund on the battery?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya lol.. theres no reason to get a refund on the battery cause my other battery is shot... thats why it was draining before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts