YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really appreciate the eskimo/daddog site on jetting. Not only did it get me on my way, but it's at the guys own expense and trouble and time.

Pretty decent, top shelf in my book.

Now, the GYT jettiing kit is giving the nod by daddog. Even though it's highest jets are 45 pilot/165 main.

Go to the 48 pilot if hesitation is a problem from what I understand too. But good luck finding a shop that will sell you one in So Cali.

2 full turns on the screw, and 3RD clip on the GYT needle. This all under 1500 feet I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've tried to find the zip tye screw from every Yamaha dealer in LA and Ventura counties,, and no one has it.

I called Bob at Magnolia today and he doesn't have it either. Several web searches have brought no results. Bob said something about a special tool,,, I dunno,,,

Anyway, I'm going to re jet my 2 YFZ 450's because 2 new Yoshi pipes are under the Christmas tree for my kids, and daddog said to rejet,, especially if ya repipe, and that's good enough for me.

My final question is: The air screw that I can't find the zip tye for. Where is it, what does it look like? Not the zip tye, what does the aircscrew look like? For all I know, I could be adjusting the carb drain thinking I got the air/mix screw.

Daddog passed that pic up on his excellent site.

The only carb I've messed with was rebuilding one off my Buggs and Stratton Lawnmower engine.

I had the dealer go up only 1 jet size on my Raptor and it ran as good as those who went up 5 jets sizes.

Daddog said to learn to jet yourself,, and so thats the direction I'm heading.

I ain't afraid to ask,, the only dumb question is the one ya don't ask.

Theirs a few BS'rs on this site,, so one has to be carefull who's advise ya take I've found.

Thanks,
-CHUY

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
daddog has the fuel mixture screw pictured on his site. only he calls it a "air screw" it is right in front of the hex nut that gives access to the MJ and pilot. look at the pilot jet page and scroll to the bottom.

I got my zip-ty from Alba

Theirs a few BS'rs on this site,, so one has to be carefull who's advise ya take I've found.
while daddog and crew have good pics and like to help I disagree with their jetting suggestions. they are too rich ... so I would warn against taking their advice. Call Yoshimura and ask what made the most power on the dyno with their pipe. then tune from there, they are in so cal .... so they will probably give you a good starting point.

just my $.02

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did call Yoshi and their reply was "Ya don't need to rejet".

So what do you think of that? 8|

That's very bad advice.

I read how some claim they had smooth going after they re jet,, only to read in later posts they've been struggling in getting it right.

So ya gotta be carefull who's advice ya believe. Lots of bragging, and talk is cheap on the internet.

Several Yami service managers I've talked to in this adventure are warning against the K&N filter for sand users, and I'm buying that warning and sticking with foam.

They say the K&N lets in too much fine particles, and they've seen YFZ's come in with engine damage.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I took Doggs advice. I got a 48 pilot, and my 165 I had to order. I am still using the stock needle on the 5th clip. I haven't ran hte bike yet because teh main jet isn't here yet. Teh fuel mixture screw is right above the pilot and main. There is an access hole above the access panel for those two jets. The site suggest 2.5 turns if I read right. I am running air box lid off and a pipe soon. I figure that will be good jetting for that. Where is the idle screw though. I saw a big plastic knob on the side of the carb is this it? I should have my main jet in a few days. I'll let you know how it runs from there. Alba has those zip tye thingers. What exactly are those for?

Brandon

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally posted by yfz450 kid@Dec 22 2003, 09:32 PM
I did call Yoshi and their reply was "Ya don't need to rejet".

So what do you think of that? 8|

That's very bad advice.

I read how some claim they had smooth going after they re jet,, only to read in later posts they've been struggling in getting it right.

So ya gotta be carefull who's advice ya believe. Lots of bragging, and talk is cheap on the internet.

Several Yami service managers I've talked to in this adventure are warning against the K&N filter for sand users, and I'm buying that warning and sticking with foam.

They say the K&N lets in too much fine particles, and they've seen YFZ's come in with engine damage.
I'll be at Dumont for new years, you welcome to check out my YFZ then.

Thats odd about Yoshi?? They usually have their chit together ... maybe you talked to someone that didnt know what they were talking about.

Ive been running K&N's in the sand for years and never had a problem, keep em oiled, clamped on tight and an outerwear and you are set.

you have an advantage with 2 YFZ's .... jet em different and see what you like better.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Alba carries the Zip-Ty...

Click me!

Never bought from them, so it's not an endorsement or anything... I just remember seeing them there the other night. Hope that helps!

edit: just read desertbound's post referring you to Alba too... oh well. :)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ok well first of all Daddogs site is nice and a good place to learn things if you don't have a manual.

Wel first I guess I should have said that you may not want to listen to me cause I know nothing I mean damn I am running a 70 pilot and a 318 main :O

Anyhow buy the Zip Tie from Alba as much as I hate to say it they have always had them in stock for everyone around here that I sent to them.

Now I do not know your mods, but I will say get a K&N over a foam anyday.

So lets say you have a K&N, Pipe, Cam-mod, and you are riding in Dumont.

Slip that 45 pilot in, a 168-172 main (each bike is different) (I am running a 172 main for gas), if you have a GYTR (NCVQ) needle put it on the 4th clip, and set your mixture screw to 2 turns out to start with.

That should put you close enough that you will not know any different.

Disclaimer: I am a BS'er and know nothing :eek

Scott

·
Registered
503 Posts
i hate to hear that alba is the only one with the Zip Ty's in stock although i don't know how relevant "in stock" is. i ordered almost 2k worth of crap from them and haven't seen 90% of it yet. that was 35 days ago and not getting very good help from them in any department. sent email to cancel all of it that wasn't out the door already. I hate companies like that. I will do all of my business elsewhere from now on!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to Pahrump, Wild Txn, Late Apex, schwendi, Desertbound.
I really appreciate you guys helping out.

You guys are gold star tuners/re-jetter's.

I just finished jetting the first YFZ and wow what a difference!
It started right up, idle'd like it meant it, and ran up and down the block like a champ.

When I got off it, I started up the daughters stock YFZ, ran it up the street, and yep,, the YFZ runs much better re-jetted.

It was a bigger hassle lining up the Yoshi Pipe clamps than the rejet.

I was real nervous running it so lean stock. now. I'm resting easy.

Tomorrow, the daughters YFZ.

Thanks to all you guys.

See ya at Dumont Friday.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Glad you got it done with no probs.

I hope that you did not follow my advice cause I really am a BS'er :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 24 2003, 08:21 AM
Glad you got it done with no probs.

I hope that you did not follow my advice cause I really am a BS'er :D
A Yamaha Dealer Owner warned us with a PM against the Cam Mod.

I learned later all his mechanics quit over pay dispute, and the new kids in his shop could barely handle an oil change, let alone a cam mod,, so that's what I mean by BS'rz.

Look a little deeper into advice before ya take it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
YFZ450kid, Can you please let me know how that Yoshi pipe works? I am gonna get either that or a HMF. I'm kinda torn right now. I don't really race the hill to much, but I want something that is gonna give me good overall power increase, not just bottom or top end.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I learned alot of valuable information on this site alone... Spending most of my time with two-strokes... Four-stroke tweaking is new to me.... :uhoh
I just sit back, click Search, Read and Learn from the Real Pro's. :rock

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Same here. It's nice to have access to a place like this. Especially when people give feedback on how things are working. This is my first thumper as well, and I'm really just getting use to the FCR carbs. It's funny to think I have so much more to learn. I was pretty handy with my two strokes. Everything was right there in front of me and self explanitory. I get intimidated looking at teh powerplant on my 450, but excited at teh same time about learning about it. I guess thats what it's about though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yea , im new to a 4 stroke, so I just sit back and read away :lol

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by desertbound@Dec 24 2003, 09:06 AM
Pahrump, I also took your advice and my bike runs great. Thanks for all the help.
Anytime

·
Registered
136 Posts
ok lets see if this sounds right then or what am I missing?
Got bored last ngiht so I put on a full alba pipe, k&n (no lid), did the cam mod, and the alba cdi....jetted the bike to:
45 pilot
165 main
gytr needle on clip 4
2 1/2 turns out on the air screw

starts no problem, but I have to keep light pressure on the throttle to keep it running, as soon as I move my thumb off it dies, with the choke on or off any ideas from all you BS'ers :lol
I havent ridden it yet, but was planning to take it out tommorow and would like it to idle. There is a little play in the thumb throttle ...think I should tighten up the cable a bit and see or did I do something wrong???
thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts