YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm just a recreational rider, but i'm wondering what the best oil would be to run in the yfz. I just changed the oil for the break in period i changed it to mobil 1 fully synthetic, good idea or bad idea? I've always been under the impression mobil 1 is some of the best stuff, especially since corvette recomends nothing else in their engines....Thanks for your help guys!

Ride on!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Mobil 1 is meant for car engines.... not atv's. for your yfz you need to be running a dirtbike or atv oil. the car oils are not meant to work with the clutch plates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i guess that would make sense... I wanna run what's best for the longevity of the bike...what do you reccomend...? I hear ipone is good...but what do i know!?

·
Registered
68 Posts
any senthetic will make your clutches slip, semi-, or fully, i would recommend regular yamalube,it sound funny but i dont have an oil tank,wet sump only, i ran motul semi-sen. the clutchs slipped the first time i rode.changed back & ran fine.this is just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That is all bull$hit, if your clutch is slipping after the new oil it was messed before. I have run Mobile 1 Red Cap in all my bikes before and have now switched to it in this one. Make sure you get a good bit of hours on it with conventional oil first though or it will never break in good. I changed to synthetic after about 40-50hrs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
nope its not bs that is what happened in my case, call hinson & ask them what to run. they will agree with me.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have been running mobil 1 blue cap in my LRD/350R for along time now. I hadn't heard about the clutch slipping with that oil until now. now that i think about it I go through a clutch everyother race

·
Registered
205 Posts
been running Mobil 1 in my ATV's for over 5 years!!! I have the same clutch in my drag 400cc 250R thats been in there the last 3 years!

I ran about 5 hours on my stock oil, another 3-4 on a change of regular havoline or whatever for a little more breakin, then I switched to mobil 1. We run it in our 1985 Honda Big Red, 1986 Honda 250SX, my R's, my YFZ, and none have any clutch slipping problems.

This is an old wives tale.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
By the way for those of you that don't know Mobil 1 Red cap is 15W50

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Mobil 1 MX4t is the correct oil to use. It can not have the polymer additivies in it or it will mess up the clutch. I am not sure of the cap but when I called Mobil 1 that is what they told me to use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone who says that you can't run Mobil 1 in your ATV and that you have to run special "ATV" or "Motorcycle" oil is completely misinformed. A number of *independent* (don't believe what's on the back of the bottle) tests have shown that "motorcycle" oils provide absolutely no advantage over quality automotive oils like Mobil 1.

I and MANY MANY other ATVers and motorcyclists have run Mobile 1 in our engines for years with nothing but excellent results.

Dealers love to tell people that the Honda, Yamaha, etc. oils are better because they charge much more for them. The bottom line is that they are usually no better (and are frequently of lesser quality) than the standard brands.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You are correct as long as you don’t include synthetics into that statement. When you look at synthetic oils their are two types. The ones with friction modifiers and the ones without. The ones without are great for wet clutch type engines (ATV or motorcycle engines). The ones with friction modifiers are great for cars when you dont want any friction between parts.

The only reason that an ATV or motorcycle can move is the friction between the clutch plates and the steel plates in your clutch basket. If you take that friction away by using an oil with friction modifiers which are designed to remove all friction between parts you will be sitting at the starting line woundering why you didnt go anywhere when your competition is at the finish.

That is all I got to say about that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thumper - a very good qualification. Friction modifiers are out for a wet clutch. Mobile 1 15w50 (synthetic) with the red cap (and no friction modifiers) is the way to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We been running www.amsoil.com with great results, same oil in motor and tranny on our Dales too. Talk to amsoil tech support and learn something from them. There are other brands out there just as good as Amsoil too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Myself as well as a dozen of my friends use mobil 1 CAR oil as people keep calling it. No one has had a problem. Now that I think about it my clutch probably does slip. That would explain the bald tires and 3rd gear wheelies in the street. Don't know what I was thinkin using car oil.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by grswr@Nov 20 2003, 02:45 PM
Thumper - a very good qualification. Friction modifiers are out for a wet clutch. Mobile 1 15w50 (synthetic) with the red cap (and no friction modifiers) is the way to go.
Exactly, Mobile 1 Red Cap 15W 50 (car oil) is a great ATV oil and I along with many have been using it for a long time and saving money while doing it. :blah

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by jamiesel@Nov 21 2003, 01:28 AM
red cap has no friction modifiers?
Nope, none in the red cap 15W 50 Synthetic

1 - 20 of 40 Posts