YFZ Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously had had a motor fully rebuilt on a 2013 Yfz450r by Miller. Bottom end and top end. I got my motor back and it would barely even start, had to crank it over forever! And then finally my valves went... So I sent it back, ended up having to put new valves in it. New rings and he did some more head work with epoxy. Got the motor back and it still started super hard! My buddy and I took the valve cover off and after some research found that Miller put it out of time by one tooth, he did that twice! I believe that is what caused my valves to go bad. I had him put hot cams in the bike but he doesn't seem to of known how to time it. As I just got off the phone with him trying to inform him he was off the tooth he claims "usually when I do the timing on the dual cams I look through the case for the timing mark and DO NOT look at the timing marks on the cams". And was convinced he was still right and I was wrong even though it runs great now, and have good throttle response, while before I didn't. Well two gurus figured out a "professional" builders mistake that he did twice. Just wanted to inform everyone about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually don't deal with this type of stuff, as I am too busy. I found this by accident doing a google search to check on rankings, so I thought I'd chime in. On this particular build we used stage 3 hotcams I believe. As I have now found out, the timing dots on those cams can be very misleading and do not line up as good as OEM cams. Therefore it is a good check to do the pin count (the pin count is what I said I didn't do) of course I look at the timing marks, duh. Up until this build it had not been an issue. We timed the engine with the dots level to the head surface just like the hundreds of YFZ engines before. Luckily Jacob did find the issue and was able to get it corrected with no further issues. If I had the whole quad in my shop and not just the engine we would have found it as well. One tooth off had NOTHING to do with the valves "wearing out". The valves had slight wear on the first tear down. Furthermore once the engine was returned I didn't charge for the new head gasket installation, adding epoxy to the floor of the head, SERDI cutting in big valves or any other labor. That was all out of my pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The absolute best place I’ve worked with yet . Got a full engine rebuild and owner Steve Miller Did A Hell Of A Job . He rebuilt my crf450R with great communication, and in a timely manner . Only person who will ever do Any work on my bikes engine . Thanks Steve And Your Team You Guys Did An Excellent Job !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts