YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was just cleaning my 450 up realy good and i popped of the hose that goes to the catch can thing and out runs some milkshake looking oil stuff..

so i take off the 2, 8mms that hold on the cover for the starter i guess and all the gears are coverd in this oil and i can see in there a little and its all white nasty looking !!

whats wrong?

i know on my turbo car when i blew a head gasket it would do this, but i have no clue if this is the same in anyway..either way i know it cant be a good thing.

the other thing is, is that my warranty runs out in less than 2 weeks so i guess im gonna have to get it to the dealer and raise hell early in the morning..

anyone know what can be wrong? and what should i do?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
dont jump to a blown head gasket. drain your oil. if it is a milky lookin color then you blew the head gasket. if not you are fine. it will do this in the starter because the gear spins and churns the oil thus making it change into a white color.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by BaTTerUp450@Feb 24 2004, 05:50 PM
dont jump to a blown head gasket. drain your oil. if it is a milky lookin color then you blew the head gasket. if not you are fine. it will do this in the starter because the gear spins and churns the oil thus making it change into a white color.
10-4 try changing the oil to see what the oil in the tank, and crankcase looks like.

Sometimes condensation gets in the breather system and then leaks down into the starter gear and then the starter gear churns it up and you have alittle milkshake in there.

But it could be a head gasket failure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The last time I drained my oil, it was real milky/grayish. I asked my dealer, and he said it's just condensation, espescially since I had been riding in very cold weather. He also said some clutch shavings could have discolored it, which I thought was weird... Hopefully I'm not riding with a blown head gasket!! :|

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
iI the head gasket is leaking you will have more fluid (oil and anti-freeze) when you drain the oil than your specs call for.

I would try to determine the amount of fluid that comes out when you drain the oil or check the level and find out if it is high on the dipstick.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Do what you want-but usually light foamy brown is an indicator that there is a foriegn liquid in the oil. If it's a little, I may be able to go along with the condensation theory. But if you drain it and it looks like choclate pancake batter (umm) you got a coolant leak somewhere in the system.

Was the coolant level low? :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coolant level is good, and it dosent look over full on the dipstick..

im hoping its just condensation and nothing major, im gonna take it to the dealer in the morning just to make sure before my warrany runs out and i get screwed..

i have to have it back for the weekend (as long as its nothing bad), so i cant wait to see what the dealer sais about that ..my delaer is crap here..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i take it in just like 2 days before my warranty is up, do they still have to fix it?

thats the only thing thats scaring me..i have a few days left but its close..

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If your worried and unsure of the reason why.. just take it in and get them to docuement it before your warranty ends.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by FAST1@Feb 24 2004, 07:49 PM
If your worried and unsure of the reason why.. just take it in and get them to docuement it before your warranty ends.
Yah, that's a good idea. I wouldn't hesitate to take my bike in even up to a month after the warranty is up. Depending on the problem. If they try to dick you, let them know you will be contacting Yamaha of America with your situation. And more than likely, you'll have to tell all of your riding buddie's -who will in turn tell everyone one they know. It's just not worth the bad rap=crappy customer service. I've been down and dirty, with Toyota of America. And let me tell you, diligence and expressing your displeasure to the dealer will get results. You just have to be reasonable. If it truly, is a manufacturers problem and not abuse- you can usaully come to a equitable solution. :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
Are you riding in really cold weather? That could be the problem unless it smells like antifreeze. I don't no if it applies but.......I work on Harleys often and this is what happens. When you run a motor it naturally causes condensation in the exhaust pipe and heads. In the cold weather this condensation freezes and crystalizes. Eventually it ends up in the oil and then back to the oil tank were it forms a tan milky substance. It is normal but not good. In the winter you should change your oil twice as frequently. Also never just start it up just to run it. BAD! Run up to operating temps and get the tranny warmed up as well, as to burn up some of that water (condensation). Using a lighter wieght oil is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Milkshake? That reminds me of a song.....

Your bootistank brings all the cats to the yard...no...

Thats not it....

Definately see the man BEFORE the warranty is up. Then if it blows up later, you can still get covered even though it is out of warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I haven't checked the starter gears, but inside the vent tube and in the top of the engine oil plug it looks milky. It has been doing this for several oil changes, but the oil never looks milky when it is drained.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine was gray, but I measured it, and the same amount that went in came out... :lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow, you all where scaring me there for a minute. I have noted the same thing on my yfz. When you take the hose (thats wrapped in the spring looking guard) off the starter vent, milky froth looking stuff is on it. When you take the 2 little bolts off, and remove the starter cover, the whole bottem of the enclosure has that milky frothy stuff.
I am thinking the gears in there stir up the oil, and condensation, and it is made into this froth.
No where else on the quad have I found this. I have also noted that my oil smells of gasoline. I think this is due to when I was trying to get my yfz to start with the yz cam, and never could. I think the quad became so saturated in gas, that it ended up in the oil. I am thinking that maybe this is what the starter motor gears are frothing up??? Who knows. I dont think its a fricken head gasket though, otherwise all the oil would be like that, and you should be able to feel it, right?
Anyways, just wanted to add my findings, so that maybe we can figure out what it is. I do think its just condensation, mixing with oil, and getting turned up in the starter gears. It never did this in the summer time!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i took mine to the dealer and they said there 90% sure its just condensation, but they are taking it in on tuesday to give it a good look over and check out my battery problems befor my warranty is up..

ill let you all know what they say for sure..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts