YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do most of my riding on the dunes but are also getting out in the woods of late.i have decided to get some razors on itp t9 baja fronts and jmc beadlocks on the back.do you think this is a good set-up for the riding i am doing?? didn't really want to get paddles as i don't do any drags/racing and the sand we ride in is pretty hard/compacted.

cheers. :moose 450

G

·
Well... i had the razrs and the they absolutly SUCKED in the woods

Good on hardpack

Mud isnt an option!

I would deffinatly et the Klaws for the same price!

RIMS!

The T9 are weaker but lightr than the stock.

i would keep the stock or go with beads!

My 2 cents

·
Registered
325 Posts
Razrs will be great in the woods, but I think that they will just dig in when you go duning. Maybe keep your stock rims and tires and use those for the dunes, and get Razrs and rims for the woods.

·
Registered
122 Posts
keep the stock rims and get Kenda Klaws you cant go wrong the Kndas give great traction!

·
Registered
237 Posts
see i think razzrs. itp hole shots, kenda klaws are a track tire/mx/xc. they all have good tracktion and will wear with the amount of riding you do, and the style you ride. there are lots of different kinds of tires which willl also be good for both riding situations you mentioned. Bear claws, realaturs, and the names go on. i suggest goin down to your dealer and seein what kinds of tire are avalible to you and look at the tred pattern! small nob tires are better on tracks and as you get in to designs with more of a paddle shape , your lookin a mud tires and then in to sand tires, so ya. personally i would get a tire with more of a mud design (sort of, but not a mud tire) this will be great for every day riding, great trackion on trails and mud, and still have a bit of a paddle shape for in the sand. but it is your choice not mine.
just my 2 cents
Curt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank guys for the replies, most of the xc stuff i ride in is all hardpack,very little mud. also looking at the mx side of things shortly so thought the razzors would be the best bet. maybe have to get some itp sandstars for the stock rims!!

:moose 450

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had the regular Razrs, not the II's or MX. I did not like them at all. Bad traction and slide happy. Sometimes the sliding was fun and at times saved my ass from high siding. Unless the conditions are perfect like a groomed track stay away from the razrs. The II's seem better for traction but they do dig. Which is bad for sand and snow. I go with Holeshot MX for track and Kenda Klaw XC for woods and cross country. :yfz

·
Registered
869 Posts
kenda klaw narly combo, ITP Holeshots, and Maxxis Razr. are by far the top when it comes down to woods riding. Each of the three have there advantages and disadvantages. I think for what you are doing Razr2 might be your best set up. it has deeper lugs than any of the others which would help in the sand!!!!!
Razr2 front best front tire
kenda knarly rear best traction but too short
Razr2 rear often provides too much traction
reg razr good straite line traction bad side bite

·
Registered
21 Posts
from what my fried with raptors and predator tell me the razor's wheather razor 2's or regular one do not work good for sand or looser ground. they tend to spin to easily and not grip good enough. itp do good in my area were there are some sand areas but mainly woods.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
good choice. I love the razr lineup and will not run anything else. From the razr mx, razrs, to the razr 2s, each one performs alittle different.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by ZRider@Feb 11 2004, 05:45 PM
Razrs will be great in the woods, but I think that they will just dig in when you go duning. Maybe keep your stock rims and tires and use those for the dunes, and get Razrs and rims for the woods.
razrs r not good in the woods tooooo much spin the Kenda Klaws r way better stronger get beadlocks or hipers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I race XC and run Razr 2's on the front and rear. The fronts are awesome but the rears are very hard to break loose with a stock motor. Also for sand they will just dig in. I raced my buddy up a sand hill at the Badlands and he beat me with stock tires. Both of us had stock motors. I got tired of having a light front end when climbing tough hills so I bought a 470 Big Bore Kit from FST (I'll have it in about a week). Hopefully this will help break the rear wheels loose a little easier :lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got bored one day and did my own shootout with Razor I and II, and holeshoot XCR new style. I did three different days. Note all of these are woods racing, no MX. Wet sloopy,-- The razor II on both front and rear. Worked by far the best. No comparision
normal day, combo hard pack, loose soil, rocky.--Razor II agian on both rear and front.
Very dry day hard pack--front were still the the razor II, kind of a toss up with the rears, The maxis II don't break as good on the rear but have better traciton than the other two (Maixis I, and XCR).
With all the power of the 450 you can still break spin on the II, if you have not added pipe, these tires are like super glue to anything, it will wear you out in stock form. My overall conclusion is Maxis II on the front heads down,
The rear can be a preference, I like the II when it is loose soil (normal), wet, or rocky. Good dry too. My second choice for the rear is the maxis I. The Xcr front sucks ass for stearing for me in the wood.
If you have something with less power like 400 EX you will not like the razor II on the rear. You will never break the wheel spin on normal soil. I a hard headed engineer ((we all are) I have to see eveything for myself. I have buddies who love XCR very few, one guy gets them free(honda's only) Some like the maixis I, But I have to say nothing works better in the woods than razor II, and can adjust the psi to comphesate for weather and conditions. hands down, I keep maxis II on mine though. Did I just write a [email protected]#%ing book or what guys. I am about to try some tire balls also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts