YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant help but to look on the market anymore and see all the aftermarket chassis builders putting out some form of long travel design based aarm. What is the difference betwenn standard travel and long travel other than the longer shock requirments? Im looking into getting a long travel setup only b/c "its the hot thing to do" I wanted someone to explain the likenesses and differences to me before i shell out my money, thats all :lol :rock

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Well long travel is what it says..... it has more travel than std. travel which is always better...... but i can tell u..... DEFNITELY go w/ LT if you will be doing any MX unless u dnt hav the cash.... now i aint sayin u got to, but i thought it was WELL worth the extra money i dished out for it......i got LT on my Z and my friend got ST.... and his sits lower than stock, but he has no sag compared to wat i had..... he said his sat 2-3 inches lower than stock... whereas, if i wanted to, could make my arms parallel w/ the ground..... u will most likely be going w/ a zero preload shock, which will give you a ride height adjustment ring letting you make ur decision on how high/low you would like ur quad to sit..... u want the front and rear of ur quad to be pretty much flat... u dnt want it to be like a dragster w/ the back 10 inches higher ( best if its within an inch)..... w/out me on it..... my Z sat 7 inches off the ground w/ a stock rear shock and long travel elka ssd-(zero preload) fronts... i will be going w/ the LSR LT DC-4's on my YFZ w/ PEP ZPS and am hoping that will also let me put a lot of sag if i want it..... but, to sum it all up...... i am VERY GLAD i went w/ LT instead of ST...... ive ridden and jumped both and can say LT is well worth the extra money IMO..... but thats just my $.02....... but if u have nemore questions... lemme know and i will try to answer them for u..... Trey

·
Registered
23 Posts
another couple things to add to Trey's reply. the LT shocks are quite a bit longer than standard (around 2 inches depending on model) these shocks house more oil which increases their capability on staying cooler for the long motos or desert races. The shocks also lay at more of an angle w/the lower portion being closer to the ball joint, this creates an anti-roll situation which keeps the machine from diving into corners. Lastly, the increased angle (at the bottom) slows down the working shaft speed which decreses wear, and friction (less heat created) this slower shaft speed also allows the shock builder to more precisely valve the shocks.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by DFR 25@Dec 4 2003, 03:51 AM
another couple things to add to Trey's reply. the LT shocks are quite a bit longer than standard (around 2 inches depending on model) these shocks house more oil which increases their capability on staying cooler for the long motos or desert races. The shocks also lay at more of an angle w/the lower portion being closer to the ball joint, this creates an anti-roll situation which keeps the machine from diving into corners. Lastly, the increased angle (at the bottom) slows down the working shaft speed which decreses wear, and friction (less heat created) this slower shaft speed also allows the shock builder to more precisely valve the shocks.
:stupid what he said :lol BTW, if you do want to go LT and want LSR/PEP...... give Rudy a call (the guy that just posted). hes got some [email protected]$$ prices...... his number is (480) 664-9860.... Trey

·
Registered
202 Posts
One common misconception is that long travel means longer travel, it does not. The top of the line LT shocks and the top of the line standard length shocks will travel almost the same. The differences in setup are not in actual travel, "long travel" is a misnomer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thomez is correct. Long travel shocks actually will only give you maybe 1/4" more travel than standard travel. The benefits are in the fact that the valving can be more precise, thus a better ride. JIM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts