YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am going to try and install a LSR axle Saturday. How long does it take to do? Could someone provide step by step instructions that has done this already.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
15-30 mins. I 4got if u take off the left or right hub to get it out, but its one of em :lol Take em both off tho cuz u gotta put em on the new axle neways. Take off hubs, then the sprocket and brake hub. Put new axle in. Put on one of the sprocket or brake hubs. Slide axle in. Put on other hub. Now put on wheel hubs. Tighten the stuff up and go rip! :rock

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's not that hard to do?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by slinger@Feb 19 2004, 10:35 PM
So it's not that hard to do?
nope.... just hav a pipe wrench and sum cheater bar to get the locknuts off :rock

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
no reverse threads.

And don't do like some member did and try to remove your disc brake off the hub, It's unnecceary.

Here's a quick run down:

-----All this is from looking at the back of the bike forward------

1.) Remove both Hubs
2.) remove the Disc Brake caliper. (2X12mm bolts.)
3.) Loosen the 2 allen head set screws in the lock nut.
4.) Remove the lock nut.....Here is how I do it with ease:
a.) Have a cresent wrench or the right size wrench that is long enough to reach the ground.
b.) slide the wrench on to nut, and lay the handle on the ground.
c.) now just roll your bike forward and let the ground provide the leverage to loosen the lock nut. (you can do the same to tighten it, just push the bike backwards)
5.) "Wiggle" the disc brake rotor and hub off in one peice to the right side.
6.) Place the Right side Hub nut back on the bike for the next step (leave the end of the nut flush with the end of the axle).
7.) Take a 2X4 piece of wood, and a hammer, and tap the axle over from Right to left. (Putting on the wheel hub nut will protect the outer threads). Tap it far enough to expose the left side ring clip that hold the chain wheel and hub on.
8.) Remove that ring clip. (I use 2 flat headed screw drivers, and start at the slot and work my way around).
9.) Leave the chain wheel Hub and sprocket on the axle so you don't have to take apart your chain ;)
10.) Put the Other wheel hub on the left side (for the same reasons as stated in step 7.)
11.) Now with that 2X4 piece of wood, and your hammer, tap the axle out to the right. Once it gets close enough to fall out you can remove the wheel hub nut, and remove the chain wheel hub and sprocket with out ever having to mess with the chain it's self.

IT's also a good idea to have the chain loose while doing this, so there is no extra tension on the axle.

WASH RINSE REPEAT to install the new axle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts