YFZ Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
i am 17 i have had this 1978 ford f150 2wd in decent shape and ever since i got it two years ago i ve wanted to lower it
i have heard of putting the axle on top of the leaf springs and cutting coils but i am not sure
i am on a limited budget
and the magazine i have would cost 670 dollars to lower it and it only cost 150 to lower an s10
any help or suggestions welcome

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
670 route would be your best bet. lowered I-beams aren't cheap but are the best way to do it unless you want to buy tires every 2 months then you could cut the coils or put in lowered coils. I think 2" is all you can go on the coils and still be able to align the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i have a 51 ford p/u mounted on a 79 chassis same as yours you can put the rear on top of your leafs that wil work with the coils in the front i cut one coil off and got about 2" after one season i took out one more coil and got about the same 2" as far as the alighnment you can have the stock i-beams bent to realighn it most alighnment shops can do this that will give you about a 4" drop in the front and the rearend swap will give you roughly the same. The only thing with the rear is you have to put shims under the rear blocks so your driveshaft angle will stay the same or else youll be chewin up shafts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I am a front end mechanic and work on this very thing all the time. Yes, you do bend the i-beams to align this vehicle, However, when your pickup is lowered that far, the i-beams can't be bent enough to compensate for the drop. Your tires will still be leaned in with negative camber and wear the inside dramatically. The i-beams made for dropping the vehicle is the best way to go. Even with them installed, they will need to be bent to get the vehicle properly aligned. If you need anymore help, just ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts