YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can i do about this?? Its gone forever more then likely. With a car, just go to the dealership of the make of the vehicle and give them your vin number and they can make you one on the spot (or at least the Mitsu dealership can) Can i do this at the local Yamaha dealership. I dont even care if i have to order one.

Where is the vin # location on an 04 YFZ 450?

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
The vin number should be on the side of the frame towards the bottom. I think it's on the brake side but I'm not a 100% sure. If it's not on that side then it's on the other side. Or look at your registration or title. That will have it to. There probably not gonna give you a key without the registration or some kind of proof that you own it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Serial number off my title. Thanks tho

Sidewinder are you sure of this? Have you ever been up to the dealership to try or just speculation. When i needed another key for my mitsu, all i did was take them my registration with the vin number on it, and they had a key within 5 minutes. It cost like 11 dollars, but they got me one. I dont see any difference in this other then that they might have to order the key.

YFZRider69 - Chain side, i double checked to make sure my number was the same as the one on the frame.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
QUOTE (Dustin Barger @ Feb 26 2009, 11:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751616
Got the Serial number off my title. Thanks tho

Sidewinder are you sure of this? Have you ever been up to the dealership to try or just speculation. When i needed another key for my mitsu, all i did was take them my registration with the vin number on it, and they had a key within 5 minutes. It cost like 11 dollars, but they got me one. I dont see any difference in this other then that they might have to order the key.

YFZRider69 - Chain side, i double checked to make sure my number was the same as the one on the frame.[/b]
Car dealers and motorsports dealers are completely different. I used to work at one and there was nothing we could do for people with your exact question. The keys are matched to the main switch assembly only, not to the bikes they come on. Unfortunately the only way to get a key is to replace the whole switch assembly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats the chance of 1 key matching up to 2 different YFZ's?

Can something be done to the switch assembly so it thinks the key is always in the "ON" position? And all i have to do is hit the button?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I don't know about the probability of your first question but it's definitely possible to hotwire. Disconnect the 4 wires from the back of the switch and connect one of the red wires to the brown wires and connect the other red wire to the brown/blue wire. The only problem with this is that it could drain your battery since it's always on. An alternative to this is to wire in a toggle switch of some sort instead.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like more trouble to hotwire it to the on position then it would be to just take the assembly off. Ive alrdy got the switch assembly off. For some reason i figured it would of given me a lot more trouble then it did. I may just try to find another swtich assembly.

I may see what a locksmith can do first.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea. God this sucks. Was suppose to go riding Saturday too. I lost it in the warehouse where i work somewhere. Fell off my key chain. And its a 1 million square foot warehouse. And i covered probably 85% of that place today, who knows where the w00terer could be.

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
I googled it and some peopel took off the ignition and found a locksmith that would rekey a key for it. They said it was like a 100 bucks. Maybe try that.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Feb 27 2009, 02:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751622
Let us know what you find out, I'm sure it'd help a lot of people out who tend to lose things. :mhihi:[/b]
I never take mine out of the quad, just to make sure I don't loose it. And just to be sure, my spare key is on the key ring with all the keys for my trailer doors, hitch pin, trailer tounge lock, and all that. :clap:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
same as gtilley said my good one is in the bike 24/7 and the spare is onmy wall right in front of me

·
Registered
416 Posts
come on guys.... your telling me NON of you guys know how to hot wire the yfz? lol :icon_eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id hotwire it if i knew it wouldnt run the battery down. Only light that is on is the nuetral light, would have to leave it in gear most of the time. On a fuel injected ATV the fuel pump turns on when u turn the key on, that would take power, but luckily, mine is carborated.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your better off finding a used key assembly. I left my key at home once so I hot wired it and yes it does kill the battery over time.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i just got off the phone with my local yamaha dealer and there maken me a key for around 10 - 20 bucks. i have 2 take them my key assembly. my brother in law said that you can also get a toggle switch and splice it in and it will work just as good as the key except you cant take it out of the quad lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When i took the switch assembly off. I took it to a Locksmith place. If you look extremely close, there is a code imprinted n a small 2/3" wide sticker. Its extremely hard to read, and must be held in the light just right. If your eye sight isnt the best, u probably cant see it. Only 1 out of the 3 at the key making place could see it. Thats what they use to make the key. I got 2 made for like 13.50, so its all good. Put the switch in and fired it up just a few seconds ago, for confirmation.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone ever loses their key, a locksmith place can make you one. They need the code tho, should start with a letter and have 5 numbers afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parkland Locksmith carry motorcycle key blanks. Make at least two copies of the original and put it in a safe place Use it if you ever need more copies. The key code, usually a letter and a couple of numbers stamped on the original key,, helmet lock, fork lock, etc., can also be used to make another original, and it cost less than just copying a key.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts