YFZ Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this question has been asked a lot but I am looking to get my stock shocks revalved/rebuilt on my 2008 yfz450 and was wondering what is the difference between standard travel +.5 and long travel +.5? Is it worth changing my a arms or should I just keep my stock a arms and revalve/rebuild my stock shocks? I am just a casual rider usually trail ride but where I go to ride there is a lot of bumps and when I go fast the bumps are too rough and its hard to control my quad thats why im looking to revalve my stock shocks and i've heard they're just as good as aftermarket shocks but I wanted to know if its worth changing my a arms as well or would I be fine with the stock a-arms

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The only difference is the length and progression of the shock between standard and long travel, basically. With a long travel you're going to be able to get a plusher ride because you have more travel and more room to adjust. However, if you're just rail riding I would think that revalved/resprung shocks for your weight should be good. I don't think they will perform as well as some aftermarket shocks, but it's all about your budget and what you want to get for performance.

Take all of that with a grain of salt as I'm no shock expert, but that's my experience over the years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only difference is the length and progression of the shock between standard and long travel, basically. With a long travel you're going to be able to get a plusher ride because you have more travel and more room to adjust. However, if you're just rail riding I would think that revalved/resprung shocks for your weight should be good. I don't think they will perform as well as some aftermarket shocks, but it's all about your budget and what you want to get for performance.

Take all of that with a grain of salt as I'm no shock expert, but that's my experience over the years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Wouldn’t standard travel +.5 or +2.25 also give me a plusher ride since I am adding length to the aarms? and what aftermarket shocks would you recommend? Most ppl told me I should just revalve stocks, I got a quote for revalving all 3 of my shocks and it was $950 for all 3. the only aftermarket shocks I could get around that price elka legacy’s $1200 for all 3 and my only other option would be getting 2 aftermarket front shocks and revalving my rear or vice versa

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The wider width really should not make a difference in your shock performance if they're engineered correctly.

Aftermarket I have heard bad things about the Elka Legacy but have never used them myself. Your best bet is to call up a shock company or someone like Ken at KB Motorsports and talk through your budget and what you're trying to do. They can steer you in the best direction for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did talk to them for prices but it’s hard asking them for advice because most of the time they are just trying to up sell me just to make a sale or at least that’s how I feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts