·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump you slow MMAD bikes haha!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'd be there, but I'm stuck at work until the 13th of May. I only live about three hours from the dunes. How do you like your engine setup, jakemax04? Have you had it on the dyno?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Memorial Day weekend is may 22-25. I'm real happy with it. Got it dialed in and it runs pretty good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's dyno tuned

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ah, yes... silly me. Maybe I'll be there, after all. If so, I'll hit you up. I have a '14 R and an '09 DS450X MX, and my wife has a Raptor 700. If I go, I'll try and drag a couple other friends along, too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal I've got the ole blue n white R and I'll be riding with my bud and his white Suzuki LTR450.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
I don't expect to be there. I used to be able to take off and go a few times a year. Last few years the economy tanked enough to limit my long trips. It's 8-9hrs one way for me. I hope to go for sandfest or maybe some atvdragracers trip.

standard81, how do you like that ds450? I rode one once. Seemed to make it's power close to red line, like it needed to be in the upper rpm range to really pull. It was all stock. I think the wire mod was done to it. The dyno shop here was a can am dealer, and they always had to warranty frames cracking. Enough hassles with the 450 they quick sponsoring the 450 machine, and soley sponsored the big 850cc 1,000cc 4x4 quads for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea it is a long drive for me too about 8 hours from waco, tx. I only go about once a year. Hopefully there will be plenty of people there when we go. On new years it's a ghost town there. I won't go when it's cold again. Nice sand to ride on and no worries about getting hit but no one to race.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Terse, I like mine a lot, but I've never really been "at home" on it, like I am on my YFZR, or how I was on my YFZ. Mine has quite a bit done to it, but the motor is still fairly mild. It's no torque monster, but it pulls hard if you keep it in the powerband. The stock ones are weird-- the powerband is really narrow, and kind of oddly placed. You have to rev them, but you can't rev them too high, or the power just falls off and you're not going anywhere-- just making noise. With the higher compression, two exhaust cams, R102L ECU, mild port work, pipe, filter, intake setup, and green injector, mine has a wider powerband than a stock one, but it's not as forgiving as my Yamahas are. My Yamahas just pull(ed) harder. Also, about the frames cracking, they've had issues with the hips cracking near the peg mounts, and then issues with the front spars breaking, and cases cracking where the swingarm pivot goes through... They're weird. Oh, and they're like old Harleys, too... they all leak oil. The gaskets are ridiculous. I'm not sure what it is about them, but if you try and reuse an o-ring-type gasket on there, it's guaranteed to leak. Especially on the cam cover.

And jakemax04, I'll keep my eyes peeled if I make it there. I'll post up on here before I go, though. The more the merrier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look for jake to be riding with an awesome white LTR with shaved fenders and a blue and white wildcat. Should be a blast!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
I'm not sure why their 450cc sport bike is not up to par like their SxS's and 4x4's quads are.

Seems every time I get to Okie it's rainy or cold, or blistering HOT. lol.

ANy one know if they are running the dyno down there? Last time I was there Mike was only doing it by appointment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every time I've been there he has the dyno going. I will say that dyno reads really high cause I put down 56 hp on a rough tune and only 45 on a dyno here in Killeen. The guys at Killeen Powersports did an awesome job dyno tuning my bike and were able to squeeze a couple more hp out of her. Ended up with just over 47 hp. I wonder what it would put down on the rollers in OK now. Probably close to 60! By the way Jake's put down more than mine in Killeen. But they are very very close.
A guy was getting his raptor 700 tuned at the same time in OK and was telling me how he was impressed with the power my "little" quad made but still no comparison to his big bore raptor. He continued to tell me that he put over 3k in the motor and it should be an awesome drag bike where mine is just a fast duner which I agree I don't consider mine a dragster at all. But I was skeptical of his bike because he still had the stock swinger etc. After it put down almost 70hp he wanted to race me. We were on our way out at the time but I ran into him on our next trip and he was fast but if I got the jump he couldn't real me in. Same if he got the jump. He would pull just slightly up top but not much at all. I wasn't too impressed with his "drag bike" since he had over 300cc on me. Plus that was when my quad had the rough tuning in it. I hope to see him up there this time.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
I've never heard of the Okie dyno being "high" if anything it seems to be on par with other shops. But maybe that day it was off, like I said I haven't been around that dyno for a few years.

As for the two raptors racing, chassis set up, weight, and traction all play major rolls in winning a race, not just the hp. Often times the bike with more power doesn't win due to improper set up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never heard of the Okie dyno being "high" if anything it seems to be on par with other shops. But maybe that day it was off, like I said I haven't been around that dyno for a few years.

As for the two raptors racing, chassis set up, weight, and traction all play major rolls in winning a race, not just the hp. Often times the bike with more power doesn't win due to improper set up.
Maybe the one in Killeen reads really low. Yeah I know I just thought it was funny how much money he spent and how he was talking it up and my stock swinger, stock cylinder LTR was beating him.

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Ya I hear ya, it's super fun to beat other guys "higher HP" bikes especially when they can't keep their mouths shut about how much POWA it makes 8)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
^^^Yeah, it's fun and frustrating when situations like that arise. It's universal, too... you hear a lot about power production; especially from those who have no clue how to go about it... people go on and on about their 500hp Camaro or Mustang or whatever, when all they did is pull the fuel injection off, put a carb on it, and put a cam in there... no idea what the lift or duration or LSA are, and no idea what they mean... no head work. No upgrades to the bottom end, and of course, no dyno tuning. Just pure Summit horsepower... All the guys with the "whatever" kit that offers 50 horsepower, plus their octane booster... and the D-bags who run race gas or high octane in their daily driver because they think that the fuel alone will give up a ton of power, and the guys who think the higher the octane, the more volatile the fuel... I dunno... it's amusing and frustrating at the same time. I try to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes people need to get educated. Or get humble.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With my fuel customs intake, barkers exhaust, shaved fenders, and barkers sticker I'm putting down 150 horsepower. Lol

Reactions: Grim05

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
^^^jakemax04, that's precisely the kind of thing that I'm talking about. I understand that you're kidding around, but there are people who whip out their calculator and say, "okay, this cam says +15hp, and these pistons say +20hp, and these heads say +25%hp, and this oil additive says +10%hp, so I should have 750hp in my 1989 Chevy extended cab 4x4!" Those are the guys that are fun to beat. And then they say that they missed second gear on their quad or their bike, or they missed third in their Camaro or Mustang... Or, I forgot to hit my nitrous button, or I forgot to turn on my bottle heater... or, I forgot that I'm running pump gas right now... if I was running race gas, I would have beaten you...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts