YFZ Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas. so gaingin weight doesnt work for me, never has and most likely never will. i weigh 135-140. is it possible to set up stock 08 yfz SE shocks to fit my weight without revalving or is that not possible?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Nope. The stock shocks are sprung and valved really poorly even if you were the right weight.

I have never owned or ridden a revalved shock, so i cannot comment on them.

I'm also a lighter guy like you. I think your best best is to buy a set of elka legacy series shocks. It's what i have run on all 4 of my yfz's. Get rebound added to the front. Get them for the stock arms. You will also need the elka linkage for the rear. It will be a night and day difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. The stock shocks are sprung and valved really poorly even if you were the right weight.

I have never owned or ridden a revalved shock, so i cannot comment on them.

I'm also a lighter guy like you. I think your best best is to buy a set of elka legacy series shocks. It's what i have run on all 4 of my yfz's. Get rebound added to the front. Get them for the stock arms. You will also need the elka linkage for the rear. It will be a night and day difference.

I was afraid someone was going to say that. Guess i will start saving up! Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I would do a re-valve re-springs set for your riding style and weight. If you get them done by someone like bnr and let them know what your goal is.... it should be pretty awesome. All aftermarket shocks are an improvement over bone stock but most of them are still more rigid then is needed. A shock tuned for mx is nowhere near the same as shock tuned for xc. Chose wisely and anything you go with will be a great improvement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would do a re-valve re-springs set for your riding style and weight. If you get them done by someone like bnr and let them know what your goal is.... it should be pretty awesome. All aftermarket shocks are an improvement over bone stock but most of them are still more rigid then is needed. A shock tuned for mx is nowhere near the same as shock tuned for xc. Chose wisely and anything you go with will be a great improvement.
I agree with Nolifesigns here. Respring/revalves are a good starting point that will let you push yourself and the quad more while you determine if you want to jump in this quad thing with both feet. At some point, you will get faster and outgrow that setup if you push yourself and want to start saving for a good aftermarket combination that works for your style and skill level.

I started w/ GT Thunder factory respring/revalves and have used BNR since Laz passed. They are exceptional and still service my aftermarket setups.

If you decide to buy an aftermarket setup, check out KB Motorsports. They're knowledgeable and run specials from time to time.

There's arguments for both sides. I don't know your experience level or interest (XC or MX), but it ultimately depends on your budget and what you want. However, suspension is one of the first things you want to focus on...along with protection both for you and the quad.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts