YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 Laps and my thumb is tired. motion pro twist worth it?
how hard is it for an old fashioned thumb throttler to work a twist throttle ? any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
i had one on my ex and hated it. especially in the woods and on the track. dragging and flat tracking wouldnt be too bad tho.

C

·
0 Posts
Its preety tough.

whellies are really hard and the track is all different.
also when pressing the bkrake i sometimes hit the gas. :evil

I think it not nearly worth it even for 50 bucks :re
up to u though

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have no complaints with my twist, took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now im fine. try it out on a friends bike if u have the chance

·
Registered
170 Posts
Got a chance to ride a friends 450 with a twist.....Thought the people at the track were going to have to dial 911. It was, ( for me), almost un-rideable. (?sp) Man I was trying to twist for a jump and found myself continuously trying to hit the "phantom" thumb lever that wasn't there. Didn't even make a full lap and I was dying to get off that thing. Scared the heck out of me. Try making a big sweeping left turn, while working the gas and still be able to reach the front brake lever. My hat's off to those who have switched successfully!

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
cuz u hav a rookie thumb :blah ...... i can go probably a couple hours before i even start to feel it........ just get sumthin that will work ur thumb and do it every night for 10-15 mins..... it will help tons.... i hav rode a quad w/ a twist throttle and hated it.... will never use one again...... THUMB all the way (now only if we had a thumbs up smiley :lol ) :red

·
Registered
336 Posts
I love my twist, but I also switched to quads after riding bikes most of my life, I think the transition will be awkward, but after a few hour on it you will wonder why you ever used a thumb throttle. My arm pump problem with a thumb throttle was horrible, now it take a lot longer for it to effect me. If your going to ride MX i would recomend the MP vortex it had a very short twist, makes you responce much quicker, and help keep your wrist at the proper angle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put a twist throttle on my 400EX back in the day and it liked to have killed me! But, I stuck with it and after a couple of months, it became second nature. I can see where tight right hand turns are more difficult, but I can't go back to a thumb, it feels wierd and my forearm wears out quickly.

Find something that is comfortable and stick with it, you'll adapt.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I grew up racing moto cross with a bike.. The YFZ was my first 4 wheeler. I thought the thumber was absolutely a joke, especially on 100 mile or so woods rides. I installed the Motion pro (quick 1/8 turn) and would not switch back. Granted it took more than 30 minutes with the twist to become fully accomplished with it. For those thinking of switching, you really need a few hours of ride time to become totally comfortable with whoops, jumps, breaking and turns.

I personally would not recommend the slower motion pro twist due to the position it puts your wrist/arm when quickly turning to WOT. Go for the quick twist. I had started with the slow twist and promptly moved to the quick twist.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Where do you get the quick twist? I just installed a regular twist, and I wasn't comfortable with it because I had to twist it so much. I'm used to it from riding bikes though, and prefer twists over thumbers any day!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the CR pro twist(slow twist) I like it since I also rode motrcycles before and this is my first quad :lol but sometimes when going up a hill I find that there is more throttle left since it takes so much to open it to WOT,could I just get a quick twist without having to replace the throttle cable, a little cheaper this way?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thats what Im thinking but I was wondering if I could keep the cable that comes with the CR pro and just slip that vortex on there, reroute and go?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys I just ordered the motion pro twist made for the yfz not shure if its a 1/8 twist but I will check on it tomarrow. I've been racing quads for awhile now and the yfz has shown me why the twist could pay off. The arm pump that I get from the yfz is unbearable to me, I even notice it on woods rides. Willing to try anything to alleviate the problem.
All that I know is that the twist that I ordered from motion pro was like sixty dollars, does that sound like the quick twist? It was the more expensive of the 2 choices.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ DEE@Jan 12 2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the input guys I just ordered the motion pro twist made for the yfz not shure if its a 1/8 twist but I will check on it tomarrow. I've been racing quads for awhile now and the yfz has shown me why the twist could pay off. The arm pump that I get from the yfz is unbearable to me, I even notice it on woods rides. Willing to try anything to alleviate the problem.
All that I know is that the twist that I ordered from motion pro was like sixty dollars, does that sound like the quick twist? It was the more expensive of the 2 choices.
that sounds like the quick twist vortex.. you made the right decision.. just give it a few hours before going all out.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by 2000racing@Jan 12 2004, 07:02 PM
I have the CR pro twist(slow twist) I like it since I also rode motrcycles before and this is my first quad :lol but sometimes when going up a hill I find that there is more throttle left since it takes so much to open it to WOT,could I just get a quick twist without having to replace the throttle cable, a little cheaper this way?
OH no.. you weren;t at WOT when kicking my butt up OLDS!!!

I called Motion Pro about changing the CR pro to a quicker turn similar to the Vortex without having to purchase a complete new throttle and they said that it was not possible.. So I sold the CR pro and purchased the quick turn.

I think you'll like the quick turn better..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can you post a pic of the cascade thumb throttle on the bike? I think that the stock just wears you out cause of its far away from the bars positioning. tried moving it all around and my arm is still hard as a rock after 3 laps, that sounds like cake but the track is all natural and its 1 and 3/4 miles a lap. with huge jumps stutter bumps and lots of braking bumps. twist might pay off in the long run.
plus cory ellis said that one of the first things that he did was install a motion pro twist. and all the dirt wheels test riders said the same thing, the thumb throttle on the yfz wears you out something fierce.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Try racing harescrambles with this dauum thumber! :angry
Thats 4 laps on a 9 mile course! I gota do something b4 the next race. I still cant feel my thumb from Sundays race and its Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts