YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant overflow bottle leaks bad. I have tried everything I know to fix it and it still leaks out while riding. I have been told to just take it off, but I have also been told that is a bad idea. Really, I would like to keep in on, but I am tired of it leaking all over.

Lets hear some ideas..........please. :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
how full is it?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I had the same problem all last year and my bike would act like it was overheating after some hard riding. It'd start cutting out and losing power so I'd shut it off for a couple minutes and it'd be fine. I don't recommend doing it. I finally got around to ordering a new one ($10 for a stock one).

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
i got rid of the one on mine and never had any problem. is you bottle cracked or is it pushing water from the radiator into the bottle and over filling it. i thought mine was cracked and just kept filling it but it turned out to be the head gasket and was pushing water out of the radiator and just filling the bottle p.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not 100% what is going on, but it is not getting too hot, I do know that. The coolant level in the overflow is always right between the full and low line before every ride and by the time we are done riding, it will have coolant all over my swingarm and all down the front of the overflow. Not to mention that sand/dirt gets in there.

I dont think it is getting over filled, I just think that the cap to the overflow bottle is leaking.......but like I said, I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Mine always looses some. It will be on full and will go down to low. It never goes past low though. I have always thought that it was from riding wheelies? Maybe mine leaks too?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any other options as far as the overflow bottle is concerned.........or any other ways to seal the rubber lid up better?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know there are companies that make aftermarket coolant reservoirs. I seen one that walsh makes, that mounts on the side of the radiator, but it is DOG ugly. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like coolant could be leaking from the hose coming from the bottom of your water pump.
Have you checked there?

Fin

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (finman @ Mar 3 2009, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753395
It sounds like coolant could be leaking from the hose coming from the bottom of your water pump.
Have you checked there?

Fin[/b]
I am sorry, but did you even read the post? The coolant reservoir is leaking out on to my swingarm. The lid to the reservoir is not sealing up good enough. I cannot stop it from leaking out of the cap.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
is the cap still in place when you finished riding or does it work itself loose?

check to make sure that the hose isnt pulling it off while you ride.

if the cap is still in place at the end of a ride and the hose isnt putting any tension on it, you may just need a new bottle and cap?

or, its your water pump :neener: :mhihi:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the cap is in the same spot as it was when I first started riding, but you can see where it has spilled out and there will be sand and chit in the bottle. It is not sealing worth a damn.

lol.......I wasn't trying to be a dick, but come on. At least read the post before replying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts