YFZ Central banner

Will you be keeping electric start after adding the kicker?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know how many folks will be keeping the electric start feature on their YFZs even after they've added the kickstarter kit.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I won't be keeping mine, my wife has her own quad and has no need to ride mine.

And I have kicked bikes over for years so I see no reason to carry all the extra weight around. the only time I race it is up a big hill of sand and if I stall it there, there would be no reaso to try to restart cause the race would already be over. :blah

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If I ever added the kickstarter I wouldnt keep the electric starter.

I had a yz400f and it was easy to start with a healthy kick. the yz450 and yfz450 are suppose to be even easier to kick over with auto decompression release.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Changed my mind...forgot about hauling the quad and slipping it into gear....I plan on keeping it electric start only...I wiegh like 145 lbs so I dont care.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I think I'm going to just keep the electric starter. Mine is SOOOOO easy to start, just touch the button, and it's running. Plus I'm a lot lighter than most of the guys I race with so weight is not a factor either. I can use the 400 bucks else were and get a better purchase than the kick starter at this point.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Originally posted by Merriman@Nov 13 2003, 07:53 AM
I think I'm going to just keep the electric starter. Mine is SOOOOO easy to start, just touch the button, and it's running...edit... I can use the 400 bucks else were and get a better purchase than the kick starter at this point.
Yeah, like a nitrous kit :lol

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think you've got to be crazy to keep the e-starter after going through the effort and expense of adding a kickstarter. The whole idea is to loose the added weight and increase the ATV's simplicity (ease of maintenance). Having a kicker and e-starter is simply unecessary. I think installing the kick starter as a backup is, generally, a poor idea at best.

I'd hate to think any YFZ450 could be in such a state of disrepair that a $400 kickstarter is the best alternative to eliminating a hard starting problem. Carrying a can of starting fluid might be a better alternative to a backup kick starter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was wondering if anyone make's a kickstarter kit yet and what could possibly cost four hundred dollars? I mean isn't it just a block off plate and a kickstarter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts