YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about ready to buy 18 inch Kendas for the upcoming MX season. BUt I read people claim on teh YFZ for stock gearing that 20s are the size to run. Can anyone help me out? would it be better for me to buy 18s for racing or stick with the 20s with stock gearing?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Get 18"s its definately worth it. These and an axle make it awsome on a track. $50 a tire(average)...dont need rims on the rear and you can even run your stock front tires/rims. cant beat that. Get an axle before you spend money on beadlocks or front end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, the reason most mxers go to 18's is to lower the bike. That also means dropping the front tires one size too. All this gets you a lower center of gravity which helps improve cornering. The YFZ has more power than most bikes and can handle the 20's easily. I would say if your gonna go racing definitely drop to 18's, but drop the front to. Dropping two teeth on the rear sprocket should take care of the speed loss due to smaller tires. I run 18's on my YFZ and it definitely helps me in the corners.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Definitely go with the 18", with a 36 on the back or a 15 up front.

Geoff.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider@Feb 9 2004, 08:20 AM
Definitely go with the 18", with a 36 on the back or a 15 up front.

Geoff.
:stupid

·
Registered
865 Posts
i have 20" xcrs on the back now and im wanting to get some 18s this week for mx, but if the kenda 18s are actualy 20" tall then wouldnt that be pointless?

if i go with 18 klaws in the back and 20 klaws in the font is it going to be lower? also im going to be putting my 36t rear sprocket on with the 18s, and if there not realy going to be smaller than my holeshots i dont want to have to much gear.

so should i go with the klaws or is ther a better 18" tire to go with? i want to make sure it going to be lower and even out with my 36 tooth rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts