YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my bike home yesterday from ALBA. They installed their pipe and jet kit with filter etc.. Took it out today and it seemed to run pretty good. No hesitation or anything. After reading alot of post I decided to see where they were jetted at. They have a 165 main, 42 pilot and from what they told me needle in the 4th position. 2 1/2 turns out. From what I've been reading this seems lean. I'm in SoCal at sea level. Anyone have their jet kit with the pipe? I'm not sure how to get to the needle? What needle do they use? What should I jet at right now with the full pipe, filter w/lid off? The cam mod is next, where should I be then? Tommorrow I'm going to try a 168 or 170 main and go to a 45 pilot.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
SO your bike is running great, with no hesitation or problems in the power band? and you like the way it performs? so what's the problem? Everybike is different, and the only way to see if it CAN perform better is to start messing with it.

to get to the needle, take your gas tank off, and you can see the carburetor top. there are 2 allen head bolts, take those out ( I think they are 6mm) once you have the top off, you can see 1 more allen head bolt. Take that out (same size) and down in that hole is the needle. you can get to it 2 ways.....one is try to dig in there, and pull it out, or you can mash the thumb throttle real fsat and "pop" it out of there (that's what I do) just be quick to catch it :lol . I don't know what needle alba puts in the bike, or their settings, but I am running the ncvq needle (yzf 450 dirt bike needle) on the 5th clip. I also have the 170 main, and 45 pilot 2.5 turns on the fuel screw.

Cam mod has no effect on jetting.

Please read all these other jetting posts to get a good Idea on jetting. Also Daddogrider has a good webste on jetting for the unsure......look him up, and go to his site.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by sicaz yzf450@Nov 24 2003, 11:33 PM
The cam mod is next, where should I be then?  Tommorrow I'm going to try a 168 or 170 main and go to a 45 pilot.
The best way is to make note of where you are now (which you have done) and then start playing with it. Then you will know what works best for you and your circumstances.

With any luck, you'll do things the hard way and learn even more - that's how I do it. :uhoh

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ordered their kit that they installed on your quad. I'm just curious how does it make the quad sound and how is the quality of the parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the tweezer idea. I did a YFZ a few weeks ago in the field. I rejetted the entire carb for the guy. After we were done I turned on the fuel and it started spewing out the bowl overflow and a vacuum line. Turns out the float got stuck when I tipped the carb upside down to get the needle to drop out. Tapping with the wodden handle of a hammer would not right it. Had to pull the carb again, take the bowl off (thank God that went ok and the screws came right out) and snap the float with my finger.

After I was done jetting it the guy said it ran better like a night and day difference. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts