YFZ Central banner

ITP Sandstars, Skat Trak Edge, Sand Skate II

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  yfzrider 
#1 ·
After riding in the sand at Silver Lake I am addicted! I will hopefully be making a few trips out their a year and was wondering what paddles to run? I ran Haulers, they hooked up AWESOME but you could not slide them for shit! What tire will hook up the best or closest to a Hauler but still allow me to slide? I am leaning towards the Sandstars...anyone else?

I will admit paddles are not neccasary. Merriman and Crazie said they can go everywhere w/o paddles people with paddles can. That is true, my bro had no probs in the sand w/o paddles. However at high speeds he could not keep up and paddles are SO MUCH more fun. I love how much they hook up and how they throw sand. They are not neccasary but for a more fun time definelty worth it.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ@Aug 13 2003, 07:44 AM
I have haulers and I just ordered a pair of Sandstars and should have them this week. I'll let you know how I like them when I take them out.
Please let me know how you like them Woody! I really am curious! The Haulers hook up AWESOME just can not turn! It is down to the Sand Stars or Sand Skate IIs. I loveed the Hauler but they would not slide! As long as Vs hook up and I can still throw roost and wheely I am happy!

Merriman I know what you mean you can go everywhere with knobbies as paddles. You were right. My bro and my dad on his DS could make it everywhere fine. My bro could not keep up at high speeds though. The paddles just dig in and push yea! However, paddles are so much more fun in the sand you have to admit then knobbies!

#7 ·
No sorry.....

Knobbies are more fun but this is an opinion war with no winners. The only thing paddles beat me on is take off, cause they can dig in. After that though I can go faster with knobbies since I float on top of the sand, and not lose HP to digging in. :re I'm also not much in to looking at my own roost while riding, rather I watch where I'm going. And as far as sliding abilities, no paddle can slide aswell as a set of knobbies. they grip to much. Now if I was drag racing, or had a ike with tons of HP, then yes I would run paddles just to get traction. Other than that they are unnecceary. :nono For that reason I do run them on my ATC 250R. Hopefully by the time I am done with my YFZ, I won't have to run paddles, but we'll find out come Oct. 31st. :rock

Plus most people put the biggest paddle they can on there bike just so they can have a huge roost. For instance my brother runs 8 cup haulers on his stock w/ pipe 400ex. His bike can't pull them, and actually goes slower than it does with the knobbies. We proved it with the jump we were hitting last new years. That Z-400 had no trouble clearing it. The 400ex with paddles would almost come up short, and once even cased it. Took the paddles off, and it now could easily over shoot the landing by 20 feet. I rode both bikes, and jumped them, so there was no rider error. ;)

#8 ·
Exs are dogs in the sand! Sand really sucks the power out of the 400s! 8 paddle really is not that big! 10 paddle and 21x11x8 10 paddle or a 22x10 is too big of a tire. I think 20x10 7 or 8 paddle is perfect for a YFZ or higher cc. I do not look at my roost, I love riding with people with paddles and seeing thier roost...even though Im usally in front I still ride behind ever once in a while! :lol I know its just personal prefrence but I am just saying I see what you mean that you do not NEED paddles. If you do not have paddles you can still get everywhere fine in the sand.

#9 ·
just a word of thought here, everyone seems to be going toward the skate 2s, but in my opinion, theres only one sand tire company out there and thats skat trak, if you wanna straight line drag run extreme haulers, I run 20x10 8 paddle and they do just fine, if you want to slide and still have good hook up go with the edges same size and paddle number, reason I say there is only one sand tire company is not because of the hook up but because of reliability. skate 2s hook great but they are heavier and also taper off too thin at the top causing them to tear. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.