YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not but I was just wondering if the YFZ is for me?

Here is my dilemma...

1. I weigh about 250 and I hear alot of people say that these bikes are not for big people?

2. I come off of a YZ450F dirtbike and I like the feel of the bike. The comfyness (sp?) of the bike feels pretty close to the YZ450?

3. I am currently looking at either a Z400 or the YFZ. I will ride mainly trails/desert, occasional MX, and the dunes. Is the extra money worth it for the YFZ, or is it better to put the money into a Z for the type of riding I will be doing?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
heres my opinion take it for what its worth. The YFZ is a compact bike which for someone my size is perfect ( 5'10" 180lbs) but for a larger guy they may feel cramped. in your post you gave your weight and not your height I dont think weight would be the problem cause this bike has plenty of power to lug anyone around but if your 6'5" you will probably feel to big for the bike.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Here is my opinion, I’m 6’5” and weigh 315lbs, before I bought my YFZ I owned a Z400 and I can honestly tell you the YFZ is a much better bike. It may at first feel sort of cramped but I added new handlebars and new clamps (Trail Tech) which made it about an inch or so higher than stock without replacing any wiring, cables or hoses and it’s now much better for my height. I tell you what, I do not regret one bit buying the YFZ. The power and suspension are awesome and because of my size I think is much easier for me to handle the bike, after a couple of times riding it I had no problems with it’s size, I got use to it really quick. I ride trails, dunes and desert and for me the bike is great. Don’t get me wrong the Z is a great comfortable ride but if you want to have some serious riding experience the YFZ is the bike, no questions about that.
Good luck,

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey yz400fer69:

If you're still in the "considering phase", then you may want the YFZ. I rode Merriman's this weekend at the dunes. He's got a cam mod, full pipe, jetting, and airbox removed as far as engine performance goes. I weight 250 and his quad will pull me up the hills like it's begging for more. There is an enormous difference in power between the two. If I didn't have a quad right now, I'd definitely buy either the YFZ or maybe wait a bit and test ride the honda 450r.

The extra money you'd pay for the YFZ is well worth it IMO.

Just an honest, unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Silly/serious question:

Why is there a sicker/badge on the YFZ that limits the rider weight to 220lbs? :sup

·
Registered
182 Posts
So it saves Yamaha's ass when you bottom out the quad off a jump and mess it up good.They ask you how much you wiegh and you say, "221". They say,"Sorry can't help you voided the warrenty."

·
Registered
256 Posts
Originally posted by YFZinJay@Nov 12 2003, 09:49 AM
So it saves Yamaha's ass when you bottom out the quad off a jump and mess it up good.They ask you how much you wiegh and you say, "221". They say,"Sorry can't help you voided the warrenty."
but, they will not weigh you at the dealer :lol

I am 5'9" and 200. the yfz is perfect! I had a z400 and loved it...but the YFZ is in a class all its own.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by biohazard+Nov 13 2003, 10:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (biohazard @ Nov 13 2003, 10:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YFZinJay@Nov 12 2003, 09:49 AM
but, they will not weigh you at the dealer :lol

I am 5'9" and 200. the yfz is perfect! I had a z400 and loved it...but the YFZ is in a class all its own. [/b][/quote]
I'm real close to your size there bio and the YFZ feels very natural.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts