YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so I have a 2020 yfz450r se, I got my exaughst on and controller.... now going to buy the FCI intake.
So do I really need to spend the extra money for the box? Or should I just buy the filter and snorkel and itll fit the stock box??

Any advice putting it in, help, and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depends on what type of riding you plan on doing? Dunes, woods, Mx . If you think you will be riding in wet conditions I would recommend the air box. Personally I am using the RP Race XC system . Just like to have the added insurance. Your only going to gained a few ponies without the box. To me it’s not worth the risk when you have a big investment. Just my .02

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what type of riding you plan on doing? Dunes, woods, Mx . If you think you will be riding in wet conditions I would recommend the air box. Personally I am using the RP Race XC system . Just like to have the added insurance. Your only going to gained a few ponies without the box. To me it’s not worth the risk when you have a big investment. Just my .02

So you'd recommend just getting the box?
I only ride sand dunes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would. The cleaner the incoming air the longer the life the engine . Sucking in sand, dirt, mud will tear a cylinder and piston up in no time. Its preference though. Some run them some don't. If you haven't purchased an intake yet look into the RP Race XC setup its slick. Comes with all the hardware to attached to your OEM air box. There are some better pictures of the setup in my post.

Completely Custom Build 2010 YFZ450X Project Pictures

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would. The cleaner the incoming air the longer the life the engine . Sucking in sand, dirt, mud will tear a cylinder and piston up in no time. Its preference though. Some run them some don't. If you haven't purchased an intake yet look into the RP Race XC setup its slick. Comes with all the hardware to attached to your OEM air box. There are some better pictures of the setup in my post.

Completely Custom Build 2010 YFZ450X Project Pictures

Sweet man i apperciate the help. Ill be getting an intake with the box in that case. Id rather spend the money and be safe. Again thank you!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Absolutely. I just cant fathom a few extra ponies for reduced insurance on an expensive engine.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Heres my overpriced pre filter for the OEM BOX.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use the box only because I do water crossings and lots of puddles in GNCC races or GNCC style races. If it weren't for that I would go back to not running a box. I ran MX for years with no box and never had any issues.

Now, if I was to start over I would definitely go with either a Vision Air intake or the RP Race intake. Both make really quality products that fit well. I'm not really thrilled with how my FCI is personally. I also didn't like their box so ended up cutting up the stock box to make it work with the FCI.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I really like the lid. Feels good quality, but should be priced a little cheaper. I had to put some foam where the stock latches HOLD onto the moflow lid because it ended with a slight loose clamp force. With the sticky neoprene foam it latches snug. I had to solder some wire into a circle to be able to lift latches onto the moflow lid, MY tool to easily latch it on or else is kinda hard. DEFINETELY KEEPS THE FILTER CLEANER A LOT LONGER. Im using a Pro x foam stock replacement filter with no pre filter. NOTHING SPECIAL I like it better than OEM because it is "cone" shaped and not a tight fight as the OEM filter to the side hose on air box. One day ill convert to a clamp on air filter eliminating the cone OEM screen.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
To me all that lid did for gambler was make a lean machine starve for more air. Sheerider11 has posted pics of his quad completely cover in mud and with a fci box and the filter and box was still pretty clean. I think it’s dumb to have an air filter for your air filter. Just get the proper filter for the conditions you ride in. A k&n style filter with an outerwear should hold up well in most conditions. Again this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
When it rips ill sandwich a diff filter for moflow.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
To me all that lid did for gambler was make a lean machine starve for more air. Sheerider11 has posted pics of his quad completely cover in mud and with a fci box and the filter and box was still pretty clean. I think it’s dumb to have an air filter for your air filter. Just get the proper filter for the conditions you ride in. A k&n style filter with an outerwear should hold up well in most conditions. Again this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
U meant a rich machine?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
And yes i agree with you. But def flows more than oem lid WHEN CLEAN. UNTIL IT CAKES ON WITH MUDDY DUST. Quick water buket dunk. Wipe off. Back online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts