YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. When I did my 08 yfz cam I did an iridium plug at the same time. I am pretty sure the plug itself fixed the bog

Right now I have no power commander on it and it still runs smoothly.

My question is what is the best plug hp wise?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok. When I did my 08 yfz cam I did an iridium plug at the same time. I am pretty sure the plug itself fixed the bog

Right now I have no power commander on it and it still runs smoothly.

My question is what is the best plug hp wise?
Haha! Not that I don't believe you but, don't you think if the bog was as simple as a plug issue someone would of already figured it out?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is why I posted this . The only changes I made was the cam and the plug. So one of the 2 did it. And the crazy part is right now there is no programmer on it right now and it still doesn't have a bog

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's a better question for ya.....how does it run now that you installed just the cam? Did you notice any difference in power, and if so where in the RPM range did you notice the difference?

BTW, I installed the same plug on a dyno day and gained .0000000000000001269452 HP. Well worth the $5.69 I paid for it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I prolly have the stock plug. And when I installed the 08 cam i was unhappy with my power loss so now the heads getting ported and polished. Power was gained up top but lost all my low end. With the port ill regain all that and then some.

And my quad is apart or id post a vid

Its really not crazy talk. Just go pay 11$ for an iridium and see if it happens to u as well
It could have been the cam too though idk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure what the difference is in the bog between the 14 and the 09-13.
I have a 2010 yfz450x with yz cam, iridium plug and a tuned msd, and I have no bog at all. A buddy had 09 yfz450r with 08 cam, msd tuned by the same person, not sure what plug he had, but I think he had some bog before he got a vortex.
I use iridium plugs in everything ever since I had a Tahoe that had a bog with platinum plugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the number on the plug you used? Iridium plug is just a more durable metal for longer life, any increase in spark performance would be hard to notice.

Unless the original plug was defective in some way...

From what I've read on that 08 yfz cam is its a top end cam, so it would make the bog worse on a stock '14 motor.

My 14s bog/stall was cured with the MSD. Its all stock except the lid is off to mount the MSD. It does have a flat low end but after that it runs strong. I have a 08 yz450f intake cam that Im gonna try next trip. I might try a new plug too since I'll have it apart.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The plug had nothing to do with it. The stock plug size is perfect up until you get into bigger motors and fuel situations. Iridium is more a longer lasting plug that doesn't foul quite as easily. But even when you foul a plug, many times some contact cleaner will make the plug reuseable. If you are fouling plugs often, check your fuel mapping. You are probably rich or bumping the throttle when turning it over.

The intake cam is what helped as it moved the curve

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing was ever fouled. And the dude that keeps sucking off the fci enough already
My opinion is its not worth the money. I didnt feel a power diff.

And even google will tell a an iridium plug gives u better throttle response . And my boy at the power sports place agreed to that.

Like I was asking. I want someone w a 14 to try it out and see if it works.

I wont run it this was but it runs with no bog I dont even have a programmer on it

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have swapped out a iridium to a standard plug and felt no difference at all. Yes it burns cleaner, but the throttle response is pushing it a little IMO cause I never felt a difference.

Not knocking google, cause it's helped a lot in the past. But when it comes to a single cylinder motor, I don't see how it helps.

Can you maybe post a link?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Here is a quote from a motor builder/porter that use to be on the site (elder members will know exactly who I am referring too)

Originally Posted by mixxer
sorry.... unless you have something seriously messed up with jetting, that simply is not going to happen....

a turbulent mixture of properly jetted gas and air doesn't care if you light it with a match ...or a torch.... its going to burn...

the biggest difference in plugs comes in the area of reliability... not power output

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Easy way to solve this so you can ease your mind.

Swap your plug out with a non iridium plug. See if the big comes back or not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.