YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright check this out guys.
I listed something in a classified section on a web page, shortly there after I recieved an e-mail from a guy saying that he was interested in buying it but was out of country, he stated that he had a buisness associate here in the states that owed him $5500 and that he was going to have this associate send me a cashiers check in this amount he then wanted me to deduct the price of the item I was selling including shipping cost and send him the remaining ballance via western union :nono
at this point I knew something was fishy but decided to play his game anyway.

I just recieved the check this weekend and WOW :O this thing looks real. Its a cashiers check from a bank here in the states so I call them to verify the check. Well the first lady I talk to tells me to go ahead and deposit it and not to worry, so I got ready to go and deposit it when I decided to call the bank one more time and make sure.

Heres the kicker, the second lady tells me this is a big time scam, here in the states the funds from a cashiers check must be made available the next buisness day once deposited, so had I made the deposit my bank would have told me the check was good, assuming the check was good I would have sent this guy the product and wired him his ballance, but in two weeks when the check finally made it back to the bank of origin and it was discovered that it was fake, guess who would have been responsible for the entire amount?????? ME :O so not only would I have to repay the $5500 I would have lost my product.

just wanted to let you guys know, dont be fooled by these a$$holes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank goodness you had the smarts to call the bank beforehand!! I hope they catch the group of these bastards that are doing this and hand them their asses :angry

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the info.!!!! I do alot of selling on ebay....a good bit out of the country too. I'm very glad you had the smarts to verify funds. You dodged a major bullet!! :O

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yup, the three kickers are Western Union, Cashiers check and out of the country losers. I learned about this when I sold a car. It was to a local guy who waited in the lobby while I verified the check at the bank. They told me right there and then that cashiers checks have been being frauded on a LOT. I won't take them anymore. Cash baby.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Hey, I know this scam too well, it happened to me when I tried to sell a dirt bike but luckly I cought on time. Well, I should say my bank cought it on time. I contacted the local sheriff's department and the FBI to report the problem and there is not much they can do because these people operate out of other countries. So be carefull when selling anything, make sure you wait a few days after you receive a cashier's check or money order. Wait until the check clears your bank even if the bank makes the money available immediatly. Don't send cash to anyone for a few days.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yeah i know paypal has its share of fee's but i prefer being safe then sorry, if you do accept money orders or cashier checks wait a while before sending anything out or just accept cash, paypal, or a postal money order

·
Registered
479 Posts
:angry dam... the bank should really be reposible for that... imagine getting f'd like that!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
that exact same thing happened to me the guy was using the name Larry Cole and was from the united kingdom and he even called me on the phone but his check came up bad in my opinion don't sell anything oversea unless you know who it is or you make sure the funds clears all banks several times

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I heard of this too on a VFR site.

The real issue is even if the funds are approved by YOUR bank, they may not clear at the international bank whic I heard can take up to 4 weeks to clear. So while your bank clears it after 2 weeks, you get all happy and send the return funds and then get a statment saying your account is overdrawn and you are SOL.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This happens even with Paypal unfortunately. Happened to me when I was selling a LX90 telescope for $1800. Overseas buyer posted an Internet check to my Paypal account. Paypal verified the funds but would not release them for three business days until the check cleared. That saved me; I boxed everything up and was ready to ship. The buyer was requesting the item be shipped immediately for a b-day gift. I might have done it if they were not so persistent. The day the check was supposed to clear the buyer canceled the check. I would have been out the item plus shipping had I not waited.

Funny thing is, the buyer then contacted me wanting to send a cashiers check. What? Why didn't they just let the funds clear in the first place? Scammers...

Ebay has become a minefield of scams now. Not to mention a harvesting site for spammers.

Other scams or just people taking advantage of others....
Ebay (Harbor Freight Trailer) <--URL to Ebay item
4x8 folding, tilt bed with 12" wheels and full lighting: $249.00 + Shipping

Can be found at

Harbor Freight <--URL to same item from Harbor Frieght
4x8 folding, tilt bed with 12" wheels and full lighting: $199.00 Free shipping

I find this happens a lot with bike and R/C parts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
someone tried this EXACT scam on me with my one of my old drumsets i was selling, i was asking 2000, and he said he had a friend who owed him like 3700 or something and he would send me the check, and then i would cash it and that day they would come to pick up the product and the rest of the cash or some bullcrap, i knew it was a scam so i talked to the guy, and told him i will not have the drums picked up i will only ship them and i will pay for the complete shipping price, and i will have the extra cash in the package with them.... he never contacted me again :p theres alot of weird scams people try when buying online.

i recently sold something and they paid with postal money order, oddly enough they didn't ID me or take any information on me when i went to cash it, just had me sign my name "which was ONLY my ebay login name" "EmoRockDrummer" lol..... so might wanna watch for people wanting to sell stuff and only taking postal orders.

·
Registered
114 Posts
also watch credit card payments from paypal people who havent been around alot, they can pay you directly off the credit card through paypal....which makes the money yours immedietly but they can reverse the payment AT ANYTIME, my paypal acct has a -1800.00 on it right now from someone who reversed a payment to me :( got news for paypal... i closed the bank account and they wont get a dime of that money, its there flaw not mine... i delivered... thank god i emptied my paypal acct and my bank only had like $60 in it at that time, closed it right as i saw them try to take the cash. so watch that stuff :)

i used to sell EverQuest items online (sure some of you played it) i did it for almost 2 years and you get scammed alot through paypal if you use it frequently. usualy just small 40-100 2 times a month or so, and when u are pulling 1-2k a week from playing a game and selling your loots i guess its a risk you are willing to take :) that was my main source of income for almost 2 years.....lol wish i would have had the sense to buy my quads at that time but i have like 5 computers and numerous drumkits/guitars and other musical gear and random stuff..... it was fun while it lasted :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts