YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent about 2 hours today talking with Ron Wood, after he came back from K&N - using their dyno to run a number of different combinations of parts. What he found was very surprising and interesting. I don't plan on debating these finding with anyone, I'm just passing on what he found. I will say that I did spend the better part of 45 min. looking at all the dyno sheets, so I'll say that I do believe the results.

Here are some of the highlights:

1. no diff in hp when you take off the lid on a stock system

2. a .5hp (1/2hp) gain w/out the lid and a K&N filter on it

3. a .5hp gain with no filter at all

4. no gain at all with just the rubber boot

5. a 1hp gain with nothing on the carb all all - no boot, etc.

6. a 1.5hp gain over stock with a Ron Wood Freeflow intake and K&N w/airbox
(pictured in this posts below)

7. (pictured in the next post) - Ron Wood Racing Freeflow intake and much bigger K&N filter, w/out the airbox - 4hp over the regular freeflow intake.

That is correct, a dyno'ed improvement of 5.5hp over stock with his intake and larger diameter K&N. They ran multiple pulls to confirm this. I don't think I would have believed this if I didn't see the dyno sheets with my own eyes. I'm not trying to be the RWR cheerleader or anything, just thought people would be interested in hearing about this.
next post has a pic of the new racing intake w/out the box.

I'm interested to hear what people have to say about his findings.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Sounds like pretty good info. Since I only spent $65 on my ESR intake and Rons is over $150 maybe I only got 4HP or so :lol

Here is a intake I made for another guy that uses a 400EX intake tube and deletes the airbox using the Pro-Flow kit. I have since changed it to hold the filter up with 2 bolts instead of 1. Seems to work pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Great info Pahrump. Very interesting on just how restrictive the stock intake tube is. I am running a Noss K&N kit but was thinking about selling it to get the ESR, maybe I should buy the Woods setup since we now have #'s to deal with. I ran the ESR airbox eliminator on my old R and it worked well in everything but real wet conditions, so I guess I could live without an airbox on my YFZ.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't plan on debating these finding with anyone, I'm just passing on what he found.
I understand, but others, including myself have dynoed their quads as well. I had mine (before reconstruction) and my wife's on the dyno @ K&T. My wife's gained nearly 4 HP from just removing the lid and no sparky. I was right there helping w/ the tests.

This is her's:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by DirtDragon@Dec 16 2003, 01:23 PM
Selector - was the seat removed when those dynos where done?
No.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like the ESR, that kit doesnt look like it would work with anything but a stock shock. Apparently, i was the first one to order an ESR with an aftermarket shock, and found out it wouldnt fit. I was hoping the wood would but it doesnt look like it is going to either..... :bawl

ANOTHER REASON TO JUST REVALVE THE STOCKER MAYBE? Although i had it revalved and sprung and the whole new shock is way better.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by edgerat@Dec 16 2003, 02:08 PM
damn Kim's dyno with its low numbers :)  It always hurts my feelings to see one of Kims dyno sheets.
Imagine what I felt like when I saw that mine gained less than 4hp over my wife's. I had a full ex system, 13:1 comp & YZ ex cam. I nearly crapped, but we ran several in an effort to back up the data.

Kim says his dyno is compensated for the dif in elevation. :sup

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by selector+Dec 16 2003, 12:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (selector @ Dec 16 2003, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--edgerat@Dec 16 2003, 02:08 PM
damn Kim's dyno with its low numbers :)  It always hurts my feelings to see one of Kims dyno sheets.
Imagine what I felt like when I saw that mine gained less than 4hp over my wife's. I had a full ex system, 13:1 comp & YZ ex cam. I nearly crapped, but we ran several in an effort to back up the data.

Kim says his dyno is compensated for the dif in elevation. :sup[/b][/quote]
Selector, did you dyno with stock nobbies or "Dyno Tires". A buddy of mine owns a portable chassis dyno and typically you get quite a bit of slippage running anything but a TT tire or a slick. He did 10 pulls (not on a YFZ), 5 with the nobbies and 5 with TT tires. The dyno was reading 15% less power with the stock nobbies. Since nothing else had been changed, we attributed the loss to tire spin. I can understand how it will spin on a steel roller with a nobby tire. A nobby tire is not intended for use on that surface and get's poor traction when used on it. The TT tires "hooked up" better on the steel roller. Food for thought I guess.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by trx400ex@Dec 16 2003, 12:01 PM
Like the ESR, that kit doesnt look like it would work with anything but a stock shock. Apparently, i was the first one to order an ESR with an aftermarket shock, and found out it wouldnt fit. I was hoping the wood would but it doesnt look like it is going to either..... :bawl

Looks like to me that is a PEP rear shock :lol ...

·
Registered
214 Posts
All I know is maybe just removing the stock lid and not rejetting won't make a difference but rejetting and taking off the lid definitly does....

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey selector instead of pic of dyno chart put the #s. like ( run1 _____hp_____tq_____mod run2_____hp_____tq______mods ect.) i cant read it its so blurry. low #s dosent suprise me at all my south bay c-dale only had 40hp. but the torque was 58. which is crazy cuz that is one hex of a lot of torque.
i would like to know whats is what because i want to do mods to mine.13:1 probley helps tq alot but not hp. but tq is just as good because this bike lacks it. cam mod prob. does not give it any more because all it is is timing. but what do i know you have the dyno chart not me so let me know. thx

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by petersonracing@Dec 16 2003, 10:45 PM
Selector, did you dyno with stock nobbies or "Dyno Tires".
Dyno tires.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts