YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am putting in a YZ450f exhaust cam from a dirtbike. there are 2 marks on the cam gear... and need to know which to line up... does the one on the left need to be flush with the head. or does the mark on the top need to be straight up and down.

this is my first time working with the yz450f cam....
the timing marks are different on it that on the yfz450 cam.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
The one on the left needs to line up with the head.
The other dot will be at about the 12 o'clock position.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... thats what i thought.... but....

when the one on the left is lined up with the head the one at the top will be at about 11 o clock... they dont make a right angle like i thought they did... thats why i didnt worry about it, until now when i went to put it together.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Id like to know the answer to this question as well ,,,,,,,,as i was going to order a cam in the VERY NEAR future,,,,,,, :sup

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... me too... i have the motor in front of me trying to get it done tonight... dont have a clue at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah.. i have both cams here... but the yz450 timing marks are different than the yfz... so thats why im not sure here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AS long as the timing marks line up with the top of the head you are ok. I had the same question when I installed the yz cam. You are good if the timming marks line up with the head and the other one looks like it is a 11.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Put the timing mark on the left side even with the head.
The other mark will be at about the 11:00 o'clock position.
And the cam lobes of the exhaust cam and intake cam will be pointing AWAY from each other.

Your right, the to dots on the gear dont make a perfect 90 degree angle, when I wrote the "how to", I made reference to the upper marks just to give people an exctra point of alignment, and so there would be no confusion. If you were 180 degree's out on you timing (thats when the timing marks on your flywheel and engine case are lined up, and the piston is at top dead center on the exhaust stroke), the timing marks will still be even with the head, but they will be on the inner portion of the head, facing each other, and the other two marks would be on the bottom of the gear at approx. the 6:00 o'clock position.

Keep in mind that the picture that Boss posted above is of the stock YFZ exhaust cam, and it has already been retarted one tooth (thats why the mark isnt even with head).

When you put in the YZ cam, you want it to be even.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Jan 3 2004, 07:29 PM
The one on the left needs to line up with the head.
The other dot will be at about the 12 o'clock position.
I said about 12 0'clock so 11 o'clock would be that.

Install the cam with the left mark lined up with the head the other mark will land where it does. 10-12 o'clock close to 11o'clock.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
will installing the YZ Cam do the same as the cam mod with the YFZ cam?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by BaTTerUp450@Jan 4 2004, 02:23 PM
will installing the YZ Cam do the same as the cam mod with the YFZ cam?
Yes but some say it helps with starting and then some say its the same.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes it does, but the reason some people are oppting for the YZ cam instead of the free mod is because of the decompressioner. When doing the cam mod, the decompressioner isnt exactly where it should be, useing the YZ cam gives you the correct timming, and locates the decompressioner in the right spot.

However, I (and most people that have done the cam mod) dont have any problems with starting the engine.

Its up to you: FREE cam mod, or roughly $100.00 for a YZ cam. The cams themselves are EXACTLY the same.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Originally posted by NHYFZ450@Jan 4 2004, 04:57 PM
When doing the cam mod, the decompressioner isnt exactly where it should be, useing the YZ cam gives you the correct timming, and locates the decompressioner in the right spot.

Its up to you: FREE cam mod, or roughly $100.00 for a YZ cam. The cams themselves are EXACTLY the same.

I guess if the decompressioner is located in a differnt spot the cams are not exactly the same ....

they way I see it free is like doing the job almost right, and a 100 bucks leaves no questions....its the correct way to do it....

·
Registered
194 Posts
they way I see it free is like doing the job almost right, and a 100 bucks leaves no questions....its the correct way to do it....

You can look at it that way if you'd like, its your $100.00, Ill take free all day long!

When I said the cams are exactly the same, I was refering to the specs of the lobes, they have the exact grind.
The decompressioner is only off by a couple of degree's, it doesnt make much difference. It is still doing what it is supposed to.
If your jetted right, your bike will fire right up! The little bit of loss of the decompressioner wont make a difference.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I really dont want to tick off anyone but IMHO and its mine and only mine.

Do it right the first time, like painting a car with a brush.....sure it changes the color of the car, but was it the right way to do it???

no need to argue ....keep your freebie zip zero nada...

its all good. :O

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your not ticking me off, my skin is alot thicker than that :D

I do agree with you, there are alot of "freebies" that are border line "hack jobs", but I really dont think the cam mod is one of them. If it was, I wouldnt have done it to my baby!!

I have probally $30,000 worth of machines in my garage! Im not about to spend that kind of money on quads and then skimp out on a $100.00 cam. If I thought it was really the only right way to do it, I would of spent the $100.00.

·
Registered
212 Posts
this is true.....this is the only bike I ahve and well I wanna give it the best of everything :lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts