YFZ Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new piston and cylinder. I am leaning towards a bbk. But what brand and size is most reliable. I race mx and flat track. Reliability is the most important. This is the first time I have had to open it up. It is a 2006 yfz 450 I bought new in dec 05. So I am hoping to get similar life out of the next set. I already bought a hot rods +3 crank. Have web cams, fci intake, stock head getting carb bored. And a full system yoshi pipe.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
well if reliability is the most important thing than u should leave it stock, because stock is the most reliable and the more motor mods u do the less reliable it is

·
Registered
899 Posts
I decided to go big bore for this season and, I already had a plus 3 stroker crank and decided to go with the 98 mm cylinder. After doing some research and, talking to the right people, that is what I decided upon without breaking the bank.

JSR/nmotion offer some of the best big bore cylinders around but, the athena seem to be holding up. At this time, I'd say stay away from cylinder work cylinders.

For my application, I am going to keep the compression somewhat tame. As for right now, I am running a 13.1 JE piston but, I may go lower once I need a piston change just to combat excessive temperatures.

Another thing to watch out for is with the stroker crank is they have a harsher stroke angle on the cylinders so, it will cause the piston skirts to wear more so, you'll will need to change out the piston mid season, if not sooner....depending on how much you ride. I'd also recommend changing your oil after every ride. Don't necessarily need to change the filter everytime; maybe every 10 hrs.

If you have a little coin leftover, get some head work done. It'll just make everything work better and, give good gains. Your not really using your other mods until you do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts