YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i was wondering if anybody had any tips for an issue i noticed I'm doing my first-ever ice race in a couple days and I noticed I get so much traction with my tires I can't slide into the corners like I want to I really have to lay into it im a pretty good Rider I used to race Motocross and I was pretty good at it but now I'm older and out of shape and I don't know if I can keep that kind of hard workout up for all the laps i have to do.

So should I lower my front end? Should i remove some studs from the rear tires? I dont have time to pick up any mods at this point so i gotta work with what i have but any tips would really be appricated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im from maine and ya i figured a sway bar but I dont plan on getting into ice racing full time also the race is tomorrow morning. Ive gotta make due with stock when i tested yesterday i was surprised how much the ice felt like pavement and I realized after 20 laps the amount of effort it takes to throw it into the corners I'm going to tire out

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Try more air?
Remove screws?
One form of racing I have little knowledge about is this right here.
But in all honesty, talk to the guys on the ice. Unless you're in some super competitive class, I cant see people not willing to help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try more air?
Remove screws?
But in all honesty, talk to the guys on the ice. Unless you're in some super competitive class, I cant see people not willing to help.

Try more air?
Remove screws?

Im kinda in the same boat and at this point im thinkin ill take screws out of the outside tire treads ill have about 45 mins to test tommorrow im pretty happy with how it handles i just need the ass end to kick out a bit

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I used to run ice years ago. What tires did you stud? Can you post pics. You want to look into some sort of lowering kit. Idk if CRJ is still around. Lowering kit and a sway bar. I’ve seen guys ratchet strap there front and rear ends down you could try that too. Ratchet each front a arm and then the grab bar to the swing arm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I studded the stock tires and put them back on I didn't want to ruin my Maxxis tires and yeah I like the ratchet idea I came across that somewhere else when I was reading to someone else had done it with success

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I’ve also seen guys use like square stock steel and cut it to length to make the front end flat and just drill for the shock bolts.is this a one and done race or you plan on doing a few?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One and done till next year and i wont have time to mod it too much but im gonna ratchet the front end down for sure hopefully it doesnt damage the shocks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the tips guys i managed to win both races what worked for me was removing all the screws on the outside tire edges on each tire it was a good time anyways i might ice race more often

1 - 12 of 12 Posts