YFZ Central banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in order for people to decide where to best spend their money to get the end result they are looking for....

it would be great if people who have actually dyno'd their machines would show what they got .... and tell what it took to get to that level....

Money Spent / Power Returned.... unless you have unlimited cash, the topic should /would be important to you.....

the idea comes from a recent posting in the for sale section.... just straight up reporting:

"I have a ported head with titanium valves. All the valves are +1 except the center intake valve it is a +2 this head made 58+ HP on my bike before I took it off. It has 2 dune trips and about 6 races on it.

This head is ready to go all you need are gaskets and head bolts.

Serious inquires only. Buyer pays shipping I'll cover insurance.

I want $2,000 for the head and Cams. I'll take $1,500 for the head and $500 for the cams.

The head new is $450 the valves were $675 and the cams were $650. Plus the port work was another $600.

I can not post pictures of the port work, I will email pictures of the port work though."

i asked and this head also had a special spring kit in it that was not listed, so add a couple hundred for that also....

so this particular setup has ~ $2000 in headwork and valvetrain....

that is just the top of the top end..... the rest of the setup included:

aftermarket intake

bored throttle body

fuel controller

big bore cylinder and piston kit

exhaust system

dyno tuning

and the end result was a strong running machine with a good powerband.... so the combination all worked....

now.... if others have actually dyno tuned their machines and know what they got from the investment / parts combo....

it would be a great resource for people deciding how to best spend their budget..... like getting the most initially and then adding later....

info only.... complaints or unsubstantiated claims dont help anyone...

anyways... if you have info.... great time to share:clap

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ss, sb ported head off t browns practice bike from rage, with stock valves. 08 intake cam. Bored tb and a fci. Barker exhaust, vortex ecu. made 51. But 51 means nothing when u have nothing to compare it to on that Dyno. Feels more like 49- 48.

·
The Anti POPO
1,197 Posts
my 05
97mm bore
12.5 cp piston (pump gas)
stock stroke
fci intake
stock cams (modded position)
stock carb
RW pug
UNPORTED HEAD

MADE 47 HP same dyno reads 37 0r 38 hp for a stock bike

i would guess maybe $800

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
it would be easy to make a graph of $ vs. hp. just do the $ on the vertical side and HP across the bottom. as the line moves to the right it gets steeper and steeper and moves to the right less, untill the line is almost vertical.

depending on what your budget is, 50hp is cheap and east to get, very little maintenance involved also

60 is east to get but is going to prob be around 2k, over the 50hp. there is a little more maintenance involved but check on parts periodically should be done

60-70hp can be done with the right combo and parts but prob another 2k over the 60hp setup. can be maintenance intensive and should check parts frequently

70+ can be done but dont expect to have it fall in your lap. You need all right parts, and a lot of tuning, they can be kind of picky since there on the fine line of "too much" they require tons of maintenance from checking the timing chain, buckets, sprockets, bolts for rear hubs, drive chain, ect. should be checked every day on the motor parts and every few passes on the drive parts. Also they can be hard on clutches even with a DD setup

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's not always about the money to alot is the builder I spent 3-4k on a 471 thru DFR made 50hp then built a OI 480 and make 10hp more and spent less. It's a good topic but to many variables to compare.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
How about this. For mixxer. I have graphs of a venom 520 Honda . Venom 470 and venom stockbore Honda. I will also throw in stockbore yfz from venom. Then I will compare them to our Honda that we spent for a stock valve port job and web cam . Stock piston. I will post the graphs on Monday. I wonder what everyone will say when there is only a 2 hp to 3 hp difference between them All

After that I have two yfzs that one was. Built by mix and one by Mmadd. Everything is the same except head work. I'm talking everything he same all the way down the 42 carb.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ss, sb ported head off t browns practice bike from rage, with stock valves. 08 intake cam. Bored tb and a fci. Barker exhaust, vortex ecu. made 51. But 51 means nothing when u have nothing to compare it to on that Dyno. Feels more like 49- 48.

right... you have to know where it would have started to see what percent gain you got from the build....

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which is why this thread is pointless.

Who's dyno reads the lowest? Who's dyno reads the highest?

Who cares if you spent $150 and on a high dyno made 58hp, or some one who spent $2500 and on a low dyno made 51hp?

Ridiculous.

well then you can change the thread to read "what percentage gain VS money spent"

then , if everyone who adds in has a baseline .... they can accurately tell people what percent gaqin they got....

that would be 100% repeatable from dyno to dyno, even if the number scale was different, the percentage would be the same....

so change the title of the thread

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 05
97mm bore
12.5 cp piston (pump gas)
stock stroke
fci intake
stock cams (modded position)
stock carb
RW pug
UNPORTED HEAD

MADE 47 HP same dyno reads 37 0r 38 hp for a stock bike

i would guess maybe $800
manny... i always wondered what your setup was... if that is for real, then thanks for sharing....

my dyno will read 38hp on a bone stock yfz if everything is good on the run.... some 37's... lots of 38's... zero 39's

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it would be easy to make a graph of $ vs. hp. just do the $ on the vertical side and HP across the bottom. as the line moves to the right it gets steeper and steeper and moves to the right less, untill the line is almost vertical.

depending on what your budget is, 50hp is cheap and east to get, very little maintenance involved also

60 is east to get but is going to prob be around 2k, over the 50hp. there is a little more maintenance involved but check on parts periodically should be done

60-70hp can be done with the right combo and parts but prob another 2k over the 60hp setup. can be maintenance intensive and should check parts frequently

70+ can be done but dont expect to have it fall in your lap. You need all right parts, and a lot of tuning, they can be kind of picky since there on the fine line of "too much" they require tons of maintenance from checking the timing chain, buckets, sprockets, bolts for rear hubs, drive chain, ect. should be checked every day on the motor parts and every few passes on the drive parts. Also they can be hard on clutches even with a DD setup

the graph idea is spot on with what this was supposed to help outline

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not always about the money to alot is the builder I spent 3-4k on a 471 thru DFR made 50hp then built a OI 480 and make 10hp more and spent less. It's a good topic but to many variables to compare.

that's perfect for this topic

·
The Anti POPO
1,197 Posts
manny... i always wondered what your setup was... if that is for real, then thanks for sharing....

my dyno will read 38hp on a bone stock yfz if everything is good on the run.... some 37's... lots of 38's... zero 39's

that was my old motor i am now running a wr480 with a monster pipe and a good head havent dyno'd yet will be doing it very soon. this motor was not built to be drag specific or anything, and everything i have in combination with it is just stuff i got from friends at prices that were to good to pass up so not sure if i can do a hp gained vs cost because cost would be way low lol (good friends what can i say). the previous owner had the motor dyno'd with a 45 hsr running 110 and hit 54 hp. the bike ran like a raped ape so we will see if i get close to that running a 44 fcr on 110

·
Registered
913 Posts
that was my old motor i am now running a wr480 with a monster pipe and a good head havent dyno'd yet will be doing it very soon. this motor was not built to be drag specific or anything, and everything i have in combination with it is just stuff i got from friends at prices that were to good to pass up so not sure if i can do a hp gained vs cost because cost would be way low lol (good friends what can i say). the previous owner had the motor dyno'd with a 45 hsr running 110 and hit 54 hp. the bike ran like a raped ape so we will see if i get close to that running a 44 fcr on 110
Heard you stole that monster pipe :ihit

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Fine, 48-50hp with bolt on's.

I hit 50 on the lsps dyno back in the day with a RW pipe, fci style bolt on. That might have been 06?

I talked to a shop about a yfz head I seen.... they said they did the head, and they felt they could do a awesome yfz head, but if yfz was my main plateform to look to "X" shop. They were the top dog in yfz heads, and that themselves were top dog in honda heads. I did not tell them who I was.... just some guy calling them. So there was absolutely no bias towards me.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

straight up offer manny.... if you could dyno your machine as it is right now and get a baseline....i would be happy to port the machine for you for a charge of $100... gotta make a little to cover electricity/expendable tools/ cover shipping/ and buy pizza for my kids :)

i wont put a venom V on it either.... so you wouldnt be branded...

all i would want is you to re-dyno tune it and show what the the straight up facts about the gains would be.....

if it sucks, then you are free to show everyone first hand what a loser i am.... if it works, you dont have to say nice anything... just post the graph and be done....

im telling you though.... i already know for a fact what i do with porting... you will gain power from idle to the rev limiter.... minimum of +10% at every throttle position....

your 54HP peak would become 59.5HP.... all with nothing more than the porting work alone....

i just want you to see that for yourself... that's all

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So out of the members who dyno tune their bikes..... what maybe 30 of us..... and now the only thing left to compare numbers/ $$ to is a dyno before and after.... so what 3-5 members?

All this is, is a drama starting thread.

Every one already knows how much retail is on...

pistons

exhaust

cams

porting

head hardware ie. springs, guides seats etc.

cranks

So what now? No dyno reads the same. Most members never had a stock bike to start with.... so no stock base line..... How many people bought used parts vs. new parts? Who paid retail for dyno tuning.... hell who had a good dyno tuner?

Again this is pointless.

Most yfz's should be 50hp with bolt on's these days, and 55 with porting/ cams and bolt ons.

How much does all that cost...... I'm sure there isn't $200 difference retail between any 52-54hp bike with parts.

you seem to forget that:

lots of pistons actually lose hp in the 5 valve head

most of the cams ever made for the yfz actually lose hp

pipes such as some megaphones make only a gain near rev limit and overall the machine is slower despite the 500 rpm peak

and lots of porting loses power across the band....

and cranks that vibrate like a harley that lost one cylinder....

YOU may know it... and I may know it.... but MOST people do NOT know any of it....

someone could buy a piston... a set of cams... a pipe...and porting....stroker crank... and have an absolute pig of a machine for all their $$ and effort.....

if you are sure that only 30 yfz's have ever had any dyno time to document their performance gains... then 2 of them were my own, one jamie's, one sredrum's, one witti's ,and one chris stoner's... so the one's i have tested and shared info on make up the lion's share of the truly tested.....

the problem would then be that there are lots of people giving out advice on topics they have no knowledge base on whatsoever.... which i personally find to be the most offensive of all... advice based on nothing but rumor

and in : " buy a ron woods pipe and crower gen 1 cams and HANG ON BABY"

that would be the point of this pointless thread.... if you have some data to back up your claim.... it would be great to share it...

doesn't seem so very unreasonable.... i must be reading something wrong

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and the statement i love the most:

"Most yfz's should be 50hp with bolt on's these days, and 55 with porting/ cams and bolt ons"

from the info that gets "parroted" daily.... the uninitiated would think that 50 with bolt ons should be 60~65 with just the "right" $$$ porting shop(s) doing the work....

55 after porting on a prior 50hp machine is something to ridiclue and throw rocks at..... and anyone who says different should be banned..... and in truth, most porting loses power if you add up all shops that port.... and VERY few could deliver the 55HP on the 50hp bolt on...

how deep can hypocracy be??

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
you seem to forget that:

lots of pistons actually lose hp in the 5 valve head

most of the cams ever made for the yfz actually lose hp

pipes such as some megaphones make only a gain near rev limit and overall the machine is slower despite the 500 rpm peak

and lots of porting loses power across the band....

and cranks that vibrate like a harley that lost one cylinder....

YOU may know it... and I may know it.... but MOST people do NOT know any of it....

someone could buy a piston... a set of cams... a pipe...and porting....stroker crank... and have an absolute pig of a machine for all their $$ and effort.....

if you are sure that only 30 yfz's have ever had any dyno time to document their performance gains... then 2 of them were my own, one jamie's, one sredrum's, one witti's ,and one chris stoner's... so the one's i have tested and shared info on make up the lion's share of the truly tested.....

the problem would then be that there are lots of people giving out advice on topics they have no knowledge base on whatsoever.... which i personally find to be the most offensive of all... advice based on nothing but rumor

and in : " buy a ron woods pipe and crower gen 1 cams and HANG ON BABY"

that would be the point of this pointless thread.... if you have some data to back up your claim.... it would be great to share it...

doesn't seem so very unreasonable.... i must be reading something wrong

^^ Isn't that what the internet was founded on? :lol

1 - 20 of 308 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.