YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a thread like this yet. If you've removed or upgraded to other parts, what wasd the weight savings?

HMF Slip-on, 5 lbs lighter on mine.
Anyone do the kick starter and get a fim number? I heard it's like 17 lbs when you remove the fan along with the battery and starter.
Anyone found lighter wheels, tires or stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Selector got something around 35lbs off his bike.

i think he said it was around 13 lbs with the kick start conversion,

some things you can do without:

-heel guards
-lighter pipe
-shave fenders to loose mounts
-headlights
-tail light
-battery
-key switch
-starter
-starter gears
-fan
-overflow bottle
-air box
-parking brake
-a lot of electrical

all I did was add weight to my bike ... nerfs, skids, bars, damper, beadlocks, :eek

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im starting with a tread mill im my basement..I figure I can drop 20 pounds....well off of me atleast. :blah But hey its the same thing you and the quad ..Getting ready for GNCC 04!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Originally posted by Karizz@Dec 24 2003, 04:29 AM
Im starting with a tread mill im my basement..I figure I can drop 20 pounds....well off of me atleast. :blah But hey its the same thing you and the quad ..Getting ready for GNCC 04!
I am with you. i intend to buy a rowing machine or something. that can shave 20 or 30 lbs off. No sense in paying outthe nose to make the quad lighter if a whale is riding it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well i removed the parking brake as one thing. The cable for it alone had to weight 4 pounds cuz it had a metal ring around it to protect it from heat from the engine. I also noticed that it gives you a lot more room to move things around. I also removed the useless tail-light. To save more weight get a light pipe cuz the stock one is heavy. you also gain HP by doing this so you win twice. But if you want to be smart and you race, figure out the exact amount of gas you should put in the bike for each moto. That way you dont have to be running with the extra 5 or 8 pounds of fuel in the bike. ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
2 words...

Adkins Diet

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No man..... You add Helium in all four tires... The more, the lighter!!!! and if that don't do the trick, use Hydrogen :lol
My Pappy once said "Boy, Some is Good... MORE IS BETTER"

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Originally posted by CTYfzrider@Dec 24 2003, 02:22 PM
If you take off the fan it won't hurt anything right?
shouldnt really do it if you rec ride a lot. if you mx, thats one thing. putting around the trails at slower speeds isnt going to cool the quad enough. a good way to tell is to listen to the quad. if the fan never turns on, than you can do without it

·
Registered
474 Posts
I dropped over 100 pounds on my bike.....told my girlfriend she had her own bike to ride and to leave mine alone. Now I just need to work on the bike. :nono

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Use lightweight fuel.

Its possoble with the right stuff to save 10-15lbs

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Dr D. makes a block off kit that allows the oil reservior to be removed. You'll definitely save some weight by removing it, but you have to change your oil very frequently since the crankcase only holds a third of a quart of oil.

I suspect the external reservior is a valuable source of engine cooling, but you should talk to Dr D. if you serious about doing this. I'm guessing you would save around 3 pounds doing this.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Originally posted by Karizz@Dec 24 2003, 12:29 PM
You know, that is the BEST way to take off weight and you spend less on food.,. Just dont eat after 5 pm and take a smaller plate each meal.
i dropped about 40 pounds already, that is about 5000 dollars in titanium.

This helps: when your stomach FEELS hungry , think of it asloosing weight, when you are full you are gaining weight. If you want to eat between meals, go sit on your 450 for ten minutes, and maybe do some situps or pushups.

after the first month it gets really easy and natural.

You also can buff the tires for a few pounds. And keep your tank half full and turn the reserve on, make sure you have a small 2 galln can around before you run out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by daddogrider@Dec 25 2003, 09:59 PM

You know, that is the BEST way to take off weight and you spend less on food.,. Just dont eat after 5 pm and take a smaller plate each meal.
i dropped about 40 pounds already, that is about 5000 dollars in titanium.

This helps: when your stomach FEELS hungry , think of it asloosing weight, when you are full you are gaining weight. If you want to eat between meals, go sit on your 450 for ten minutes, and maybe do some situps or pushups.

after the first month it gets really easy and natural.

Nice advice, I might try that! :rock

1 - 17 of 17 Posts