YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change the oil and now I can't get get skid plate bolts off. I only managed to remove two, and one is so stiff I'm only managing to strip it.
I guess I'll have to take it into a dealer. Why didn they have to put it in so tight? It maybe the loctite though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
heres a helpful hint. while you have it off take a hole saw and drill a hole where the drain plug is. this way you wont have to remove the skid again. what was yamaha thinking not putting a drain in the skid?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Originally posted by desertratt45@Aug 10 2003, 06:27 PM
heres a helpful hint. while you have it off take a hole saw and drill a hole where the drain plug is. this way you wont have to remove the skid again. what was yamaha thinking not putting a drain in the skid?
They were probably thinking they made this thing for "mechanically inclined" people. And that they would only be replacing the cheap plastic underneath, or could figure out how to remove it. This is not a bash on anyone. :wtf

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Mine came right off too... I think I will have to drill a hole like desertrat said. It is a pain taking off the allen bolts then loctite and put them back in! Are you sure you had the right size allen wrench? Mine came right out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Raygun,

I had the same problem when I went to put on my aluminum skid plate. Loctite's a B*TCH. Use a little heat. It turns loctite back into liquid form and will let you get those bolts out. Just be careful not to melt the plastic skid. It melts fast. I used a little propane torch like you would use to solder plumbing together. I know they make smaller pen torches that should work. Just make sure you use the right "Metric" allen.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hand type impact? The one all bike owners sould have, load the spring and give it a rap with a hammer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I used a cutting torch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just did the first oil change last night and the bolts came out pretty easy..????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts