YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm new here and just wondering if anyone could sennd me in the right direction as far as changing my oil. it looks like i might have to things 2 drain. a tank and the case. can you tell me where the drain plugs are and what fluids to use and where to pit them in. i know i sound really dumb i just don't wanna hurt my engine. thanks.

tony

p.s. pics would be helpful

·
Registered
124 Posts
ok well im 12 so my dad usually changes the oil in my yfz... :icon_biggrin: i dont know all the details but i do know that you have to drain the external and the enternal tanks and add oil to both also but i do not live with my dad so i dont have all the exact measurements of oil...all of this is in the manual :icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
1. warm up the quad
2. put on some latex gloves
3. take off skid plate
4. put a pan under the quad to catch the oil
5. loosen two bolts-one under the engine case, one at the bottom of the oil tank
---this can be tricky because you will need to do it by hand to keep the bolts from falling into the pan
6. wait for every last drop to drip from the tank and case, then install the two bolts
7. remove oil filter cover and oil filter
8. put a little bit of oil on the new filter seal before you put it on
9. install oil filter and cover
10. put some oil in the case to start, then pour the rest into the tank. i think you use 1.94L??
11. reinstall the skid plate and check the oil level
12. start the bike and listen/ watch for any leaks
13. rip it up!!!!

thats what i remember off the top of my head, anyone feel free to add, or correct me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Tank drain bolt is at the borrom of the Tank right in the middle underneath the quad(12MM)

Engine drain bolt(12MM) is on the left side of the quad, right behind the shifter+ a little lower.

Oil fliter is on the right side towards the front of the motor and has 3 Allen head bolts in it...depending what year it is. The water pump is right in front of it. (hose to radiator) The oil filter has a hole in 1 end and closed on the other. Make sure you watch which way it comes out. Actually I think it will only go on 1 way.

After a few oil changes, you'll end up cuttting holes in your skidplate so you don't have to remove it every time you want to change the oil. Depending on your riding conditions, that could be every other ride!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great info, I just picked my quad up the other night and got an oil filter last night. Of course the last owner didn't see fit to 'find' any of the documentation such as owners manual that he told me he had when I agreed to buy it. :(

What is the oil capacity? Thanks all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Herer it is from an 04 owners manual.....

oil capacity
-without oil filter replacement
-Quantity in oil tank: 1.64 US QT
-Quantity in crankcase: .21 US QT

Total amount: 1.85 US QT

-with oil filter replacement
- Quantity in crankcase: .31 US QT

Total amount: 1.96 US QT

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
so when i change my oil, i put some in the case and some in the tank i take it? thanks guys.[/b]
Dunedonkey posted the specs above. You put oil in both the crank case and tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok here is the right way I do it.
1.Warm the quad up
2.Get a 12mm deep socket for the resevoir and either a wrench or 12mm socket for the case.
3. Drain them both
4. Take off the oil filter which is on the right side of the quad if sitting on it change it uses an allen wrench not sure on exact size.
5. Pour 10 ounces into the crank
6. Pour 44 ounces into the oil resevoir
7. In total i use 54 ounces of oil with filter change and it is full everytime.
8. Run the quad for the oil to get flowing then recheck you oil level and done its really simple.

I have an 06-08 they both used the same amount and changed the same way. I always hated dealing with 1.85 .31 stuff it is easier for me to do ounces wich are right on the side of the oil bottle. It will take 2 bottles of oil with you having 10 ounces left over.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Just one thing I wanted to add is torqueing down the bolts. I know not everybody has a torque wrench laying around the house, but it would be wise to buy one. Every bolt that involves changing the oil is torqued to 7.2 ft lbs. which dosn't feel like much if you tighten them with out one. You don't want to strip your cases. After reading through my manuel this is one of the first things I bought oh also because of the cam mod :icon_cool: .

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
why does everyone say to run your quad and warm up the oil? just to loosen it so it flows out better? or is there something im missing?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oil gets thinner when its warm, so I guess the oil will drain more quickly?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Both are right. Warm up the oil to get the contaminants suspended in the oil, which makes it easier to get rid of said, unwanted contaminants when you drain it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I always warm the motor to make it more of a challenge to not burn myself on the pipe when taking the filter out. It makes it like that old game, "Operation" except now you're playing for keeps...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Herer it is from an 04 owners manual.....

oil capacity
-without oil filter replacement
-Quantity in crankcase: .21 US QT

Total amount: 1.85 US QT

-with oil filter replacement
- Quantity in crankcase: .31 US QT

Total amount: 1.96 US QT[/b]
Same as in the '07 manual

·
Registered
146 Posts
I always warm the motor to make it more of a challenge to not burn myself on the pipe when taking the filter out. It makes it like that old game, "Operation" except now you're playing for keeps...[/b]
HAHA!! That game made me crap my pants more than once as a kid!!! Can't believe somebody else remembers it. Good comparison!

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you don't have the Operation game, you could always use an electric toaster and non-insulated needle nose pliars. It works about the same and the stakes are much higher.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts