YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 YFZ450R with the famous "bog". I have a HMF Borich series slip on, PCV, and FCI. Ive had a few maps done up and still nothing. I've read some things about the accelerator pump and the TPS. Can adjusting one of these help? if so what should be done? I don't really want to spend 700 on the vortex. I apologize if this has already been answered.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would try to make some adjustments to the PCV before spending even more on a Vortex. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Do a search...there is plenty of information on this site. I think at one time I posted a picture of my map to use as a starting point.

Using one of the pre-programmed maps will not fix this issue. You will have to modify one of the existing maps to get it right. If you haven't done it yet don't be worried, it's very simple...and you can always go back to the old map if it's doesn't work.

Focus on adding more fuel from 500 - 30000 RPM in the 0 - 20% throttle range. You may have to add as much as 15% more fuel to get it close.

Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I tried adjusting starting with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ his map and adjusting
and adjusting and adjusting and never could get the bog to go away
on a 100% stock other then AIS deletion 2014. I finally bit the bullet and
ordered my Vortex today. It drives me crazy the way to runs...plus
I'm going to install my Yosh pipe finally and remove the airbox lid to help get more power out of her.

Mike

Reactions: crc2012

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've edited and edited a few maps and had a few racers give me theirs and touched them up a bit as well, just can't seem to get anything and it's getting very annoying lol. I have the AIS deletion done as well. Just seems like nothing works.

From my understanding the vortex is a fuel controller just like any of the others including the PCV. Only difference is that it has a pre programmed map to get rid of the bog. But if someone could create a map or one close to the pre programmed one on the vortex then the results from both the PCV and the vortex would be similar.

Only problem is trying to make or get a map that's close to the same as the one they pre install on the vortex...

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've edited and edited a few maps and had a few racers give me theirs and touched them up a bit as well, just can't seem to get anything and it's getting very annoying lol. I have the AIS deletion done as well. Just seems like nothing works.

From my understanding the vortex is a fuel controller just like any of the others including the PCV. Only difference is that it has a pre programmed map to get rid of the bog. But if someone could create a map or one close to the pre programmed one on the vortex then the results from both the PCV and the vortex would be similar.

Only problem is trying to make or get a map that's close to the same as the one they pre install on the vortex...

Any help is appreciated.

Yah that was my plan too....plus the AUTO tune and allow it to tune the low end RPM also. Many people before me tried and tried with my set up and close similar set up's with no luck. Prior to buying the auto tune and having the bung welded in ...I changed ships. The one thing to consider is your power commander is a piggy back set up fuel controller too where as the Vortex is a direct replacement so no added latency dumping fuel. We are likely calling micro seconds here but it still adds time. ON top of that too is the 2014 was the first to be revised and must meet the emission folks standards. The Quads coming from GA are now all "Cali" quads and have such high standards now they are all being built here in the USA. Prior they were not so they were not as tough as they are today. The 2015 is slightly better....over the 2014.... So....your ECU has a ton of "emission" stuff built in ...also likely timing pulled out in the first 1-2 gear to make it more "rideable" . I've still got my 3 time ridden Power commander V but once the Vortex arrives...I will be swapping mine over for sure!

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah that was my plan too....plus the AUTO tune and allow it to tune the low end RPM also. Many people before me tried and tried with my set up and close similar set up's with no luck. Prior to buying the auto tune and having the bung welded in ...I changed ships. The one thing to consider is your power commander is a piggy back set up fuel controller too where as the Vortex is a direct replacement so no added latency dumping fuel. We are likely calling micro seconds here but it still adds time. ON top of that too is the 2014 was the first to be revised and must meet the emission folks standards. The Quads coming from GA are now all "Cali" quads and have such high standards now they are all being built here in the USA. Prior they were not so they were not as tough as they are today. The 2015 is slightly better....over the 2014.... So....your ECU has a ton of "emission" stuff built in ...also likely timing pulled out in the first 1-2 gear to make it more "rideable" . I've still got my 3 time ridden Power commander V but once the Vortex arrives...I will be swapping mine over for sure!

M
Did you notice any change after using the auto tune? Everyone says the same about the Vortex and I understand I'm just curious if theres a way to do the same with the PCV. I've read that some people have been able to get rid of it with the PCV but not sure how. Also, from what I've seen the 2015 and 2014 models are the same. Even though they have emission control in them shouldn't changing the fuel map get rid of this? also, with having the AIS deleted get rid of all emissions as well with both of these put together.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you notice any change after using the auto tune? Everyone says the same about the Vortex and I understand I'm just curious if theres a way to do the same with the PCV. I've read that some people have been able to get rid of it with the PCV but not sure how. Also, from what I've seen the 2015 and 2014 models are the same. Even though they have emission control in them shouldn't changing the fuel map get rid of this? also, with having the AIS deleted get rid of all emissions as well with both of these put together.
Well figuring we got both a 2014 and a 2015SE and I can tell you both quads are totally different in terms of running. The 2015 has not even 20% the bog of the 2014. I'm told the 14's were the first revision of the new model of which had to meet even more strict emissions due to it being fully built in the USA so it had to meet all the Cali emission requirements. Back in the old days there was a Cali model...and a USA model so when production was not fully here they were not as "strict" as they are now. I'm not fully sure man...what I can tell you is every 2014 I've read /heard about is HORRIBLE in stock format. When we got the 2015SE it was much better and I mean much better. Personally I think they made some adjustments to mapping to make it better after I'm sure countless folks complaining. I heard some dealerships can adjust the low side mixture at a local level with the tuner to help it. My local dealership did not have the tool and so I resorted to the PCV. Trying every change under the sun....spending 3 days ...no luck in 100% removing it. Sure...I got it better...but never like those video's you see guys posting with the vortex and ZERO bog. It's your equipment and I hope you get it better....I'm tired of trying and just ready for my junk to run.

M

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If auto-tune works well with the BOG and is reliable then I may look into buying that. But I'm not sure if for the extra $300 ill be spending if I shouldn't just sell my PCV put with the $300 id already be spending on the auto-tune and get the vortex.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I agree this bog has been a pain. I've had my 14 since April and its hard to deal with, I've adjusted to it by feathering the throttle but nobody likes to do that lol Plus Im going to be having some motor work done in a few weeks so maybe the vortex is just the better way to go.

Thanks for the information tho, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If auto-tune works well with the BOG and is reliable then I may look into buying that. But I'm not sure if for the extra $300 ill be spending if I shouldn't just sell my PCV put with the $300 id already be spending on the auto-tune and get the vortex.
that was exactly my thoughts...spent 350 bucks on a Power Commander V with Ignition control and was just about to get the auto tune...plus the cost to weld in the Bung....and it still not fixing it from what I've ready....EVERYWHERE.....I was like maybe I should jump now vs spending the other 300 bucks on the Auto tune and just sell the power Commander and suck it up and go with what I've seen work now on NUMEROUS video's these guys are posting and things I've read.

It just felt like a lost cause spending more to turn around and still deal with the pain in the ass bog that I hated. On top of removing the bog...the lack of the piggy back should help with response and also remove any of the MFG's attempts to make it more "rideable" by pulling timing in the early gears which they do on all their other sport bikes etc.

At this point just waiting for a response from site sponsor about my order I did last night... Ready to get this behind me and make the 2014 fun :lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I made the decision earlier to go ahead and list my power commander for sale. Ima get the vortex as soon as this thing is sold. Cost more but since so many people have good reviews on it ; it should be worth it.

Thanks for the help though. if you know anyone who's looking for a PCV let me know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah I made the decision earlier to go ahead and list my power commander for sale. Ima get the vortex as soon as this thing is sold. Cost more but since so many people have good reviews on it ; it should be worth it.

Thanks for the help though. if you know anyone who's looking for a PCV let me know.
Back at ya....I got one for sale too...has about 3 rides on it since new :|

·
Registered
17 Posts
bog gone.

i got rid of the bog using the MSD Blaster 4247. the only issue I'm having now is that is does not have a stabile idle.. rises and falls over and over.. kind of like a pulsing. i ordered the GT thunder manual idle adjustment and we will see if that fixes it. anyone else having that issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.