YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rejetted for Gordons Wells (Going for Thanksgiving)

Had 170, stock needle on 5 and 145 main 2 turns out HMF slip on with no core and lid off. (RAN :O GREAT)

Jetted to 180, GYTR needle on 5, 145pilot, and 2.5 turns

Now it runs like 5hit and cuts out at 4000 rpm (obviously rich) We are at 2500'

QUESTION: Should I leave it and try it at the dunes or should I put it back to where it runs good.

I know there is a difference in altitude, so will it run right there when it won't run here at all?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
264 Posts
180 with a foam filter is way to rich even with the lid off. With exhaust, foam filter and no lid I would not exceed a 170 main and 45 pilot. With exhaust no lid and a K&N filter 175main and 45 pilot and with the gytr needle no need to go past the 4th clip.If you have a foam filter keep it clean they are very restrictive between the screen in side and the small opening in the airbox wall to the carb.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot for the help!

I am looking towards a full intake so I am not going to spend the $$ on a K&N setup for this trip.

I will go back to 170 and clip down to #4 on the NCVQ and maybe bring a 175 with just in case.

:yfz

·
Registered
96 Posts
i just came back from glamis- about the same elevation as gordon's. i have full gytr syst. with quiet insert, pro-flow with k&n filter. mine ran fine and started easily with 45 pilot , fuel screw at 2.5 turns out, gytr needle on 4th clip and 185 main jet. so my suggetstion is drop your needle down to the 4th clip but wait on changing your main jet until you run it at gordon's.. as you said in your post it was rich at 4000rpm which will be affected by your needle position not the main jet.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update!

I will move the clip first.
I think I am going to put an aluminum air box with a K/N in it also so maybe I can use that 180 in there after all. Both replies are very helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Im using a 175, and a 48 pilot. How come u guys arent really going bigger on the pilot? Not saying u guys are wrong, im just curious, because i was told with my mods that a 18 with a 48 pilot would be good. But i dont know. It is running ok, i have yet to mess with the air screw, and i ordered the YZ needle. With my mods do u guys think a 175 main, 48 pilot is good. And what position should the Needle be at. And what about the air screw.? Thanx

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know much about the pilot (using information from this site and related links) but 45 seems to be enough for my altitude 2500 and with just the lid off and a slip on HMF.

I am getting the CFM airbox w/250R style K&N filter and I hope the 45 will be enough. I think the 180 main I am using may be right after I add the airbox (bringing a 178 and a 175 to change if I am off) and am going to lower my GYTR needle to 4 before I go.

There are alot of posts about jetting, you have to go through them all to get a wide range of input, but without altitude information it is all useless. 2 or 3 thousand feet can make a HUGE difference!

Best of luck! Hope to meet some of you at Buttercup / Gordons Wells this Thanksgiving. We will have a black Haulmark on a 30'Bounder RV parked in Gordons well near base of first set. Come by for a cold one!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YFZDream; You were right on about the pilot. I had to keep part throttle down the big hill to keep it from popping. With my setup I definately need a 48 - 50 pilot.

I wound up on clip 3 on the gytr (4th clip I couldn't pull 4th up the hill but I could with it on clip 3) and 78 main, and 2 turns out on the screw.

I also took the lid off the CFM airbox, didn't make much difference but it sounds cooler. (as if I could hear anything over the HMF :lol ) Pulls like a MO FO all the way to the limiter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts