YFZ Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a lengthy post, but I hope to get a lot of peoples feedback and opinions!

I have a 2016 YFZ that has the big three (vortex, FCI, dasa) but completely stock motor.
I’ve installed the texiera tech rear shock linkage, which I think is an excellent product, I completely changed the configurations of my shocks to my weight and ride style, I have the precision shock and vibe bar clamp and the pro stabilizer.

MY QUESTION: With how adjustable the YFZ’s suspension is, is upgrading the suspension really a huge difference?? I’m torn between spending the money to port the head w/ high comp piston and kibble white valves and upgrades intake and exhaust cams, whole nine yards. OR, spend the money to get new arms and swing arm w/ axle and new long travel shocks.
My issue is I’ve never ridden a quad with upgraded suspension like that before so I’m wondering if it’s really all that?? Also, my ignorant self thinks my suspension now is pretty damn good😂 so I’m hoping for feedback from guys who race motorcross who know exactly what the difference is and if it’s really worth it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I was at this same cross road as you. I wanted to try and get back into racing mx. I haven’t had a race in 10+ years. My old yfz was completely set up long travel and new suspension. I decided to get my shocks revalved and resprung. I went this route because I’ve heard good things about getting the oem shocks done plus you already have the shocks and they would just be sitting there if you replaced them. I went with bnr motorsports and got their rear linkage as well. Last Saturday I had my first race with them and they preformed excellent. I’m very happy with the outcome. It was a smaller track but fast track with some nice rhythm sections and smaller doubles and the bike soaked it up. The end of this month I’ll be going to a bigger track with larger jumps and will see how they work out. And if down the road is ever want to upgrade I’m sure theses would sell fast no problem but I doubt I’d get rid of them for what I do. Also it’s better to spend the money of suspension first,you can’t go fast if the bike doesn’t handle the power. I also just have the big 3

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was at this same cross road as you. I wanted to try and get back into racing mx. I haven’t had a race in 10+ years. My old yfz was completely set up long travel and new suspension. I decided to get my shocks revalved and resprung. I went this route because I’ve heard good things about getting the oem shocks done plus you already have the shocks and they would just be sitting there if you replaced them. I went with bnr motorsports and got their rear linkage as well. Last Saturday I had my first race with them and they preformed excellent. I’m very happy with the outcome. It was a smaller track but fast track with some nice rhythm sections and smaller doubles and the bike soaked it up. The end of this month I’ll be going to a bigger track with larger jumps and will see how they work out. And if down the road is ever want to upgrade I’m sure theses would sell fast no problem but I doubt I’d get rid of them for what I do. Also it’s better to spend the money of suspension first,you can’t go fast if the bike doesn’t handle the power. I also just have the big 3
View attachment 94569 View attachment 94570 View attachment 94571 View attachment 94572
Not gonna lie I forgot about this option! Thanks for the tip. Still a tough choice, the thought of the bike being ported and becoming a bat out of hell is convincing! Also, we have very very similar bikes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not gonna lie I forgot about this option! Thanks for the tip. Still a tough choice, the thought of the bike being ported and becoming a bat out of hell is convincing! Also, we have very very similar bikes!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I couldn’t agree more ATvman I don’t see the point in making it any faster when u can’t even make a whole race because ur too whooped from the track beating ur a$$ I can barely make it 10 laps without having to stop 1-2 times or 7-8 lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts