YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get this nut off of the inside of the clutch hub? The whole thing spins, so I tried to wedge a screwdriver in there to stop it :strokin: , but ended up snapping a bolt post thingamuhjig :angryfire: then I got al p!ssed off and ended up snapping another one because I knew I would need a new hub anyway.

I was thinking maybe it was supposed to be in gear when I started (trying to put my kick start on), but then thought it would end up spinning once I got the springs and plates off anyway. You can see, in the crappy cell phone pic, the bottom left 2 are broke off now. :shocker:

Also, does anyone have a clutch hub for sale or know where I can score one cheap? ..this really wasn't in the budget this week. ha

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you have any local auto shops, or an impact gun yourself, an impact will zip that nut right off, if not, you need a clutch holding tool. You will need a clutch holding tool anyway when you put it back on so you can torque it and everything else to spec.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't use the impact gun because I figured it would spin anyway. Wouldn't it? (Obviously I don't use an impact gun too often) Where do you get a clutch holding tool, or is it something common I can pick up anywhere? ...can anything else be used instead of it, or will it give me the same result as my screwdriver trick?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Try inter-twining a long shop rag or wraping a terry towel arount the basket slots to hold it in place to loosen the nut.

But an impact would be better aswell as a clutch tool to be able to spec it when you out it back together.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't that tool for holding the basket, not the inner hub?

The inner hub is the part that is spinning, not the basket, which is my problem. I have no idea how to get that bolt off and keep the hub from spinning.

..this looked much easier on paper.

·
Registered
369 Posts
All I did was hold the inner hub with my hand and hit with a impact, done in a matter of seconds. With the impact, the vibration is what breaks the nut loose, when you start the impact, it wont really try to spin the hub much, unless it is froze on there or something. As far as a holding tool, I went to the auto parts and bought some of those big vise grips, that look like the a big C-clamp or similar that closes down and clamps tight. You may want to modify the ends so they fit in between the grooves in the hub. Like these in the link, they have different sizes.
http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00920600...usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Consensus is that I should have just used the impact gun and I wouldn't be in the market for a new hub. Looks like I can get a used one from fleabay for under $30, so it's wasn't too costly of a mistake this time.

Ohh, can regular sockets be used on an impact gun? Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't want to screw anything else up and don't want to have to buy another giant socket for the impact gun.

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
normal sockets work fine with impact guns, but when bolts/nuts are really locked in, you can actually break normal sockets, that usually doesnt happen with clean, oiled bolts/nuts like those found inside engines, usually only on old rusty, pieces of crap bolts, that dont even wanna break with a huge impact gun...

·
Registered
333 Posts
i put a wrench on the sproket bolt and then i put my ratchet on the bolt inside the hub and i hit the ratchet with a hammer and the bolt came lose

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i always leave the clutch plates in it when i take that nut loose with an impact but if you leave the plates in you can just apply pressure on them with your figures and that will stop it from spinning

1 - 12 of 12 Posts