YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in shaving the front fenders on my 2014 yfz450r, but i really don't know how on earth to go about doing this. what are the best tools to use to cut the plastics, and how can i smooth the edges the best.

·
Registered
72 Posts
but in all seriousness, try youtube.... or use the search feature on the forum

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I like to lay out my boundaries with electrical tape, as you can manipulate the tape and make curved lines with it, rather than using masking tape, and having to use multiple pieces to make your curves. Then, once I see how I like it, I like to cut near the boundary, but not up to it, using a hacksaw blade by hand, while wearing a pair of gloves (for obvious reasons). Then, once I have my rough cuts made, I like to use an aggressive grit of sandpaper (something like 24 or 36 grit) and sand almost all the way to the boundary. Then, when I'm satisfied with the shape, I use a razor blade to basically shave off the rough edges left by the sandpaper. To do this, I hold the razor blade perpendicular to the plastic. This will basically shave off the rough stuff and you'll be able to shape the edge of the fender and round it off so it resembles a factory edge, and with enough patience and a little practice, you'll get edges that are cleaner than factory. Some people like to use a razor or box cutter to just make one cut, but in my experience, it's too easy to get off track-- to slip off of your line. Then you're stuck with a gouge in your plastic. Some people try to get around this by heating the blade, but this can also be dangerous. Good luck with your endeavor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I prefer the electrical tape with a dremel on low using a cutting tool getting as close to the line as possible and then I sand the rough spots with a low grit sand block then once it's damn close to where I want it I take my propane torch and hit the edges quickly just enough to "glaze" the edges to make them look factory. This method is quicker than most and very effective, people always ask how I get the edges so clean and the trick is the torch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used a die grinder and then bought a Dremel the second time I cut mine. What a difference in ease and accuracy. I used masking tape too and cut right on the line. If you use a grinder just be careful of the hot melted plastics flying off. I got a nice burn from mine

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a die grinder and then bought a Dremel the second time I cut mine. What a difference in ease and accuracy. I used masking tape too and cut right on the line. If you use a grinder just be careful of the hot melted plastics flying off. I got a nice burn from mine

This way is so much easier and cleaner than a hack saw, if you're going to be in this sport long enough buy some good tools and a dremel is probably one of the top useful tools just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.