YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all. I've got a new 2020yfz450r SE and I've put about 6hrs on it so far. Whens a good time to check the valves?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I gotta be close to the 100 hour mark, and I haven't had any need to pull the valve cover and reshim valves. I'm on the limiter a good amount too. Personally, I think the way you ride is more indicative of when they need to be checked. Someone who races will need the valves done more often than the recreational rider.

If you start having issues with restarting when hot, or if it doesn't wanna fire when cold on the starter button, then you most likely are due for valve adjustment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gotta be close to the 100 hour mark, and I haven't had any need to pull the valve cover and reshim valves. I'm on the limiter a good amount too. Personally, I think the way you ride is more indicative of when they need to be checked. Someone who races will need the valves done more often than the recreational rider.

If you start having issues with restarting when hot, or if it doesn't wanna fire when cold on the starter button, then you most likely are due for valve adjustment.

Appreciate your reply. This is my first Yamaha w/ twin cams and 5 valves. Been a Honda person my whole life until now. I'm just trying to get as much life as I can from it without rebuild. I beat on it pretty hard, but I religiously change fluids, make adjustments and lubricant components. I remember breaking in my Hondas when new, I'd have to check the valves @20hrs and then every 60hrs. Definitely loving my yfz and I think I'll be a permanent Yamaha person now.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I ride my 18 yfz hard . not afraid to get on the throttle. Probably has like 35. to 40 hrs on her. Starts instantly hot or cold. No strange noises.

I say change the oil and leter rip and dont worry at least for now.

PIN IT PIN IT PIN IT !!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Appreciate your reply. This is my first Yamaha w/ twin cams and 5 valves. Been a Honda person my whole life until now. I'm just trying to get as much life as I can from it without rebuild. I beat on it pretty hard, but I religiously change fluids, make adjustments and lubricant components. I remember breaking in my Hondas when new, I'd have to check the valves @20hrs and then every 60hrs. Definitely loving my yfz and I think I'll be a permanent Yamaha person now.
In my opinion the biggest difference is the actual timing job itself. The Honda's far less complicated to work on, whereas the YFZ engine is a bit more complex.

It's really hard to choose between the two for a favorite. I got a 2016 YFZ450R and a 2007 Honda 450er. They are both a ton of fun to ride in their own ways, the way each engine makes power just a little different makes it really enjoyable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts