YFZ Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have already done the search. I think I have eveything figured out except one thing. I am putting the 400ex throttle on my quad. I used to ride a banshee with no problems but the position on the YFZ is terrible.
What I want to know is, when you thread the yfz throttle cable in, besides the minor adjustment right at the throttle housing with the lock ring, do you have to adjust anything else? I have the Honda housing but the section that the cable threads into is quite a bit longer on the yfz housing. Wouldn't that mean that the cable will be too long when using the honda housing? Can you adjust this much slack with the adjuster on the throttle end of the cable or do you have to also adjust down by the carb? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok guys I am answering my own question for others information.

I put a 400ex throttle on my quad on friday. It is a lot more comfortable position wise. I took the tip from somewhere else here and did not overtighten the nut inside the throttle housing. :smile: I threaded the cable in and adjusted it to take the slack out of the lever. For most, this is probably close enough but I did not like the cable only being threaded in 2 threads and the throttle was a little sloppy so....
To take all of the slop out and be able to thread the cable in at the throttle side about 1/2 way you need to adjust the cable at the carb. It is no big deal, just back off the nut where the cable goes into the carb and turn the threaded cable end counter clockwise until it is backed out about a 1/4 inch. Tighten the nut and you can do final adjustment at the throttle. This is only neccessary if you are really picky like me but I thought I would pass it on. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2019 YFZ450R SE
27 Posts
Ok guys I am answering my own question for others information.

I put a 400ex throttle on my quad on friday. It is a lot more comfortable position wise. I took the tip from somewhere else here and did not overtighten the nut inside the throttle housing. 😄 I threaded the cable in and adjusted it to take the slack out of the lever. For most, this is probably close enough but I did not like the cable only being threaded in 2 threads and the throttle was a little sloppy so....
To take all of the slop out and be able to thread the cable in at the throttle side about 1/2 way you need to adjust the cable at the carb. It is no big deal, just back off the nut where the cable goes into the carb and turn the threaded cable end counter clockwise until it is backed out about a 1/4 inch. Tighten the nut and you can do final adjustment at the throttle. This is only neccessary if you are really picky like me but I thought I would pass it on. :icon_biggrin:
Super old thread but timeless info. The exact info I needed for the Honda throttle/excess cable slack adjustment 👍🏿

1 - 3 of 3 Posts