YFZ Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What pipe do you guys think is better? The HMF or the GYT-R titanium? The HMF is a lot better priced and I believe it puts out more HP correct? The GYT-R I read only had a peak HP of 5.5. Anyone have any more info on which is better?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Id go with HMF ;)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i bought a GYT-R full pipe when I got my YFZ. I never even put the damn thing on ... The overall quality sucked a$$. the welds were lousy, the sparky fit like crap, there were two massive dents in it (that are suppose to be there)

After further examining the stock head pipe I chose to keep it ... its decent in size, length and the inside welds are real clean.

So i just picked up a HMF slip-on and couldnt be happier. it is a quality piece and performs well too. I think Bob sells them for around $190 which is a steal :rock

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally posted by cjpoole1+Dec 6 2003, 01:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cjpoole1 @ Dec 6 2003, 01:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--BillsBlaster@Dec 6 2003, 12:10 PM
Id go with HMF  ;)
:stupid [/b][/quote]
:stupid

·
Registered
114 Posts
HMF, i have heard nothing but bad things about the GYTR kits.....including headers blowing holes, the packing going bad very rapidly.....along with some other stuff.....just makes me wanna stay away from the GYTR kits... i myself am stuck between-
Sparks Pipe
Yoshimura Tri-Oval
HMF Full System in Anodized Red...

just waiting to decide when i have cash in hand. most likely going sparks i think, the HMF and Yoshi just look better :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
well...

I can't speak for the HMF, but I have a GYTR system. I have the aluminum muffler and stainless header, and mine is fine as can be. It fit right, no holes in it yet, no core blow outs or whatever. But if it does, I am going to an HMF, they look SWEEEET!!

Maxx

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by BillsBlaster+Dec 6 2003, 01:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BillsBlaster @ Dec 6 2003, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2003, 01:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--BillsBlaster
@Dec 6 2003, 12:10 PM
Id go with HMF  ;)

:stupid
:stupid [/b][/quote]
:stupid :sup

·
Registered
256 Posts
The best quality pipe I have ever seen...,the sound, the fit, it blows your mind.
The bends are glass smooth, the header portion transitions easily to the exhaust, the spark arrestor can be replaced easily by replacing a screen, you can "purge" the chamber and clean the entire pipe after every use and put it away in a padded case, and, they are less than $150.

Can you say Jerome Baker Designs? :O Just kidding guys, but these pipe threads are about like....my GI JOE can beat up your GI JOE. :lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I noticed the GYT packing blowing out after 20 minutes, my son claims it was more like 10.
Absolute junk. No,,, I take that back, absolute expensive junk.

Gyt owners will say it didn't happen to theirs,,, well,, it did, they just didn't notice because it happens so fast. (Is it me or is my pipe suddenly louder?)

Hard to believe Yamaha & it's dealers would keep knowlingly sell junk but ask any '01 Raptor owner with tranny problems that was refused warranty service.

The Honda 300EX had the same problem and Honda fixed them all, free, no hassle.

I love my Yamahas, owned them for 35 years, but I can say for sure Yamaha is not a customer service oriented company.

Not by any standard.

Get the HMF, though I question their Dyno claims, they're a good company.
Everyone at the dunes loves them.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by yfz450 kid@Dec 7 2003, 04:33 AM
I noticed the GYT packing blowing out after 20 minutes, my son claims it was more like 10.

Gyt owners will say it didn't happen to theirs,,, well,, it did, they just didn't notice because it happens so fast. (Is it me or is my pipe suddenly louder?)

how did you determine the packing was blown out?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by FAST1+Dec 7 2003, 06:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FAST1 @ Dec 7 2003, 06:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--yfz450 kid@Dec 7 2003, 04:33 AM

how did you determine the packing was blown out? [/b][/quote]
Super hot chunks, pieces and sections of the insides appeared in then blew out of the exhaust hole, blowing out piece by piece.

No BS, when we noticed, I then headed back to camp to take pics and try to keep the evidence, the rest blew out on the way back.

Total operating time on my NEW GYT: about 25 minutes. Loss in money: $330.

No one like to rag something they own,, but I have to shout about the GYT pipes.

They really suck.

The GYT shrink wrap jet kits are pretty good though. Seem to be more accurate in their number ratings. But at $55, way too pricey, but theyre the only jet kits most Yamaha dealers have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts