YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me tell the difference between the hiper beadlocks vs. douglas wheels. like is one higher quality than the other. I'm in the process of a new 06 build and am trying to figure out which wheels would be best. I am 50% into track and 50% into mountain riding if this helps at all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your gonna hear a lot of mixed opinions on this topic. This is Facts coming from experience, Ive owned at least 10 sets of Hipers and several sets of DWT's, Ran Hipers for almost 8 years on and off. As for Hipers they are 3 piece design meaning they can be taken apart and parts replaced if ever need be. CF1 Hipers do not have billet centers like Tech3's both however are carbon fiber composite wheels, But CF1's are just as strong. I prefer Hipers over DWT;s for what I do, A lot of people over torque hipers and crack the halves, Also Anti seize is a MUST with hipers. Im not dissin DWT's they are top notch, for MX they are most popular. DWT's cost less, that's a PRO. Ive had great past relations with Hiper and their crew, Customer service is great same goes for DWT. Hipers are 3 x stronger than .190 aluminum wheels. Also Hipers rings break Ive seen it and ive done it <Im sure someone will bring that up, If your more into woods than track Hipers are your wheels, Like I said above opinions vary, Both are top notch. Tech-3 rear wheels weigh 5.8 pounds compared to DWT’s slightly lighter G2 at 5.35 pounds. The 10in. Tech-3 front wheels weigh 5.9lbs according to HiPer, while DWT is claiming a weight of 6.4lbs for their 10in. Roc and Loc fronts. Added together, the four HiPers are one-tenth pound lighter, at 23.4 pounds, compared to the comparable DWTs at 23.5 pounds, according to the manufacturers’ measurements. ATV Rider TEST of Weight differences.

Reactions: jmetler

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've ran Hiper tech 3's and the older Douglas shamrock beadlocks. I like the Hiper's better, they're easier to mount and dismount a tire from compared to Douglas wheels. Never had a major problem with either though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Problem with Hipers are they are composite carbon fiber. When you smack a tree, they crack and break, not bend. They only have a one year warranty, so any cracks after that is out of pocket. I love the look of the Tech 3's and ring over any other wheel, but the DWT is a close 2cnd, and better for me and my style of riding... Dwt is cheaper as well.

Alba is selling some pretty nice looking bead locks for almost 1/2 the cost of the DWT. Another point to ponder...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Goldspeed rims have both bolt patterns for if you ever have a buddie in need with the honda pattern, thats what ill be running next season. pricing is similar to DWT.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ive had both but many more hiper wheels than dwts
For xc i prefer hiper tech 3s
For mx dwts are the way to go
The hipers like said above are 3 pieces so if you break any piece there repairable if u break a dwt wheel your buyn a hole new wheel so for xc the hiper makes sense in 4 years of xc racing ive olny crackd one hiper wheel and that was 54.00 to replace a half best wheel around imo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.